another shock question

Jul 16, 2008
smithfield VA
1. the only reason I'm adding shock (dichlor) is to get CYA
2. this is a new fill (had to empty to replumb for new pump/filter/swg) so current levels are 0
3. I'm confused about the shock. according to the pool calc I am working with 1400 gallons, (I know, very tiny) so the calculator says that for a CYA goal of 70-80 (swg and vinyl pool) I need 13-14 oz of stabilizer. However, down under "effects of adding chemicals" when I choose dichlor, it says "adding 16 oz of dichlor will raise FC 47.4 and CYA by 43"

Then of course on the shock package it says to only add 1 oz per 1000 gallons which would be adding 1.5 oz.

And if we can't get back into the water until the FC is under 3 and I'm raising it to 40+... when will that be?

So-- do I need 13 oz (from calculator), do I need 26 oz (based off the the "effects of adding chemicals" at the bottom of the calculator), or do I really only add 1.5 oz like the package says?

AND... I know you have already told me that the mere act of opening the pack of shock will NOT cause nuclear holocaust even though that is what the package implies...I'm still nervous. If I don't need the whole package can I save it? and how? and how do I throw it away?

thanks, I swear once I get it up I'll be fine.

According to Intex website, your pool holds about 1,700 gallons. :wink:

If you add 2 oz (1/4 cup) of dichlor a day, your FC level would still be swimable, and the CYA would go up by 4ppm per day. So depending on how high you want your CYA, multiply that times 4. If you want your CYA to be 40, add 2 oz a day for 10 days.

It's safe for you to swim up to 10 ppm of FC with no CYA.

Predissolve the dichlor in a bucket of pool water, pour into the return, and brush the pool, wait an hour for it to circulate before swimming (since you have to turn the pump off for swimming). Or add it at night so you can leave the pump running for better dispersement. :goodjob:

If you have any leftover, I would just toss it, the shelf life won't be good once it's opened, unless you have a vacume sealer.... :wink:

ok I'm almost embarassed to write this...

:roll:

If I use the dichlor to add the CYA, I will have to do it slowly, tiny bits over several days, or it will overload on the chlorine. - correct?

I can however buy something called stabilizer that is just CYA, add enough of it all at once, and be done with the CYA issues, and move on to establishing my chlorine levels, salt levels, and turn on the SWG already. -correct?

last year i just dumped bleach in and washed my filters... why am I trying to get all fancy????

No need to be embarassed, asking questions is how we all learn.

You're correct, you could buy CYA and add the amount you need all at one time. The reason the members came up with the dichlor method is that (1) CYA is usually sold in 3 or 4 lb containers, and as such you'll only use a little to get the CYA level where you need it, and (2) most owners of small pools already have dichlor on hand, and want to use it up.

If you do decide to go buy CYA and just add it to your pool, it'll still take from 2 - 5 days to dissolve completely. You can start chlorinating like it's already dissolved, but it usually won't show up on testing for a couple of days.

BTW, you can go ahead and add your salt now, so it can be dissolving too.

You're trying to get all fancy because now you know how to properly sanitize your pool! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.