Home made Heater. Does this seem right to you?

spdas

Jun 17, 2009
Aloha, everyone. I found it hard to get the solar 20' heater off ebay shipped to Hawaii at a reasonable price, so I decided to fashion one of my own. Here it is.

1: 500' of the irrigation black pipe from home depot
2: It is coiled on the top of a 8'x20' container starting along the outside edge. Coil is held in place by "fingers" that are vertical, so the tubes are space 1/2 apart
3: Water comes from my return line of my filter pump and amount of water is adjusted/diverted to the coil by a valve. (but all the tube from the discharge line of the 1 1/2" pump to pool is tee'd off to the 1/2" x500' coil.
4: I can regulate the temp of the water coming back by the 1 1/2" valve.

How hot should I want the water coming back? It will vary according to how much water I am diverting and of course the weather. I am doing 20 degrees above pool temp and the water is flowing at about the volume of a 1/3 open water faucet, about 2 GPM.

I thought I would be getting more heat out of it. Am I expecting too much. (I can add another 500' x 2 lengths if needed

thanks
Francis

You want to flow as much water as possible through the heater. Adding a little heat to a lot of water works more efficiently than adding a lot of heat to a little water, and the result in the pool is the same, excluding the efficiency difference.

Aloha,
What do you think the efficiency of the DIY system such as mine compared to the Ebay ones claiming 80%? I will suck up the $300 freight gouging if the factory ones are WAYYY lot better. I just tested in the 10:00 AM sun and at 1 gal per min and 500' of 1/2" I am getting 7 degrees. I will push more water to 2 gph for more flow?

thanks
Francis

spdas said:
Aloha,
What do you think the efficiency of the DIY system such as mine compared to the Ebay ones claiming 80%? I will suck up the $300 freight gouging if the factory ones are WAYYY lot better. I just tested in the 10:00 AM sun and at 1 gal per min and 500' of 1/2" I am getting 7 degrees. I will push more water to 2 gph for more flow?

If you have a good place to mount them, the factory ones are better. I would go with the better quality ones, since they'll last longer. Talk to poolheatpumps.com, a supporter here, or bestbuypoolsupply.com, which is where I bought mine.

The panels are usually shipped rolled up in large boxes. It could be that shipping would be cheaper to you if a California company would ship them flat on a pallet, since space may be more expensive than weight coming to you.

If your do want a DIY solution, you need to make a manifold at each end, and cut your pipe into 20' foot sections and run them all in parallel between the manifolds. That will get you a much higher flow rate and far higher efficiency.

Aloha, I was able to "will-call" and pickup 2 x 4x20 Sunsaver panels from Oregon (not Sungrabber, that I understand are not as good), so hopefully will be installing Monday. thanks everyone.
Francis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.