Green pool

donnah

Jul 7, 2009
North Carolina
We went away for 8 days on vacation. I put tons of shock in the pool. Came home to a green pool. The chlorine level is high and all other levels look fine. Any suggestions. I have an above ground pool 15,000 gallons. Family coming in 3 days HELP!!

CL is at 3ppm
alk is at 120
ph is at 7.6
I used test strips to get these numbers

First off. Follow reeboks adviice. Read pool school and then read it again.

The one thing we love here are numbers. Saying the chlorine level was high is like saying the string is long. :)

Get and post a full set of numbers and tell us how you got them (i.e. pool store, srtips, test kit). From that point we (mostly they) can tell you what to do next.

First thing to do is turn on your pump and leave it on. I'm sure you need to shock but without numbers it's a blind shot in the dark as to how much you need to add.

Hi Donna,

3ppm of chlorine is not "high". Especially if your CYA level is.... do you know your CYA level?

Refer to the CYA/Chlorine chart in my sig. If you have CYA over 50, 3 is actually too low, and it won't cure a green pool. You need to shock.

Read the articles in Pool School, as they will explain everything.

Then if you still have questions, post back and we'll help.

You should know that test strips are very unreliable, so you will need a better testing method.

what was the ingredient in the shock you used? Wondering if you somehow got copper in the pool. I know you say green...green cloudy...green clear?

Also please go to you local pool store if all you have is strips and ask the for a water analysis...don't buy anything, unless you want some liquid shock and post the results here.

We'll help from there...saying things like levels look high or OK is not accurate enough for us to assist.

Welcome to TFP...we'll help you as best we can :goodjob:

when I had the water tested at the store before we left the said all the pool levels were fine including my stablizer. I used my test kit and still get a 3ppm reading of cl. Thank you for helping me.
frustratedpoolmom said:
Hi Donna,

3ppm of chlorine is not "high". Especially if your CYA level is.... do you know your CYA level?

Refer to the CYA/Chlorine chart in my sig. If you have CYA over 50, 3 is actually too low, and it won't cure a green pool. You need to shock.

Read the articles in Pool School, as they will explain everything.

Then if you still have questions, post back and we'll help.

You should know that test strips are very unreliable, so you will need a better testing method.

Glad to help!

"Fine" to the pool stores doesn't mean much. Unfortunately they still tell people that the recommended FC range is 1-3 regardless of a person's CYA level, when the two are directly related. Also, some pool stores will even tell people that CYA/stabilizer levels up to 200 ppm are ok, and they aren't. Anything over 50 in a non-saltwater pool is too high.

Do you have a specific level for CYA?

No sorry i do not have the level. As you can tell kinda new at this please help thanks
frustratedpoolmom said:
Glad to help!

"Fine" to the pool stores doesn't mean much. Unfortunately they still tell people that the recommended FC range is 1-3 regardless of a person's CYA level, when the two are directly related. Also, some pool stores will even tell people that CYA/stabilizer levels up to 200 ppm are ok, and they aren't. Anything over 50 in a non-saltwater pool is too high.

Do you have a specific level for CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
3 days....eeeks. Let's see....

What was in the "tons of shock" you added? Was it granular or liquid? If granular, was it Cal-Hypo or Dichlor? Exactly how much is "tons"? :wink:

Since you are on a tight timeframe....(I would normally recommend a better test kit, but you don't have time to wait for shipping.)

If you have a Wal-Mart by you, pick up one of the HTH 6-way test kits that they sell for $20. IF you can get it tonight, that will give you some time. Pick up about 6 large jugs of bleach. The test kit will test for CYA. Or tomorrow head to the pool store and hope their CYA testing is accurate.

Once we know your CYA level, we can determine how high you need to shock.

In the meantime, I would add enough bleach to reach a level of 10ppm of Free Chlorine. In your pool, that's 1.2 large jugs of bleach (182oz) size. Add it tonight, if you can. That's regular 6% bleach, Clorox or store brand.

Repeat that addition in the morning, and try to confirm the CYA level ASAP, so we can know if you need to go higher. If you are lucky enough to get the water clear by weekend, you should still get a better test kit, like the ones recommended in Pool School.

Read How to Shock your Pool and Defeating Algae in pool school.

Thank you , I put in chlorine and will run to get kit in AM two small children I can't go tonight. It was granular shock not sure of the rest the pool store told me it was 99% chlorine.
frustratedpoolmom said:
3 days....eeeks. Let's see....

What was in the "tons of shock" you added? Was it granular or liquid? If granular, was it Cal-Hypo or Dichlor? Exactly how much is "tons"? :wink:

Since you are on a tight timeframe....(I would normally recommend a better test kit, but you don't have time to wait for shipping.)

If you have a Wal-Mart by you, pick up one of the HTH 6-way test kits that they sell for $20. IF you can get it tonight, that will give you some time. Pick up about 6 large jugs of bleach. The test kit will test for CYA. Or tomorrow head to the pool store and hope their CYA testing is accurate.

Once we know your CYA level, we can determine how high you need to shock.

In the meantime, I would add enough bleach to reach a level of 10ppm of Free Chlorine. In your pool, that's 1.2 large jugs of bleach (182oz) size. Add it tonight, if you can. That's regular 6% bleach, Clorox or store brand.

Repeat that addition in the morning, and try to confirm the CYA level ASAP, so we can know if you need to go higher. If you are lucky enough to get the water clear by weekend, you should still get a better test kit, like the ones recommended in Pool School.

Read How to Shock your Pool and Defeating Algae in pool school.

I went to the pool store and they said my satblizer is between 100-150. Both of the pool stores I went to used the test strips and said all other chemicals were fine. They said that the strips are how they test the water now (lot of help they were).
frustratedpoolmom said:
99%? Yikes. :shock: That was probably Dichlor. Dichlor contains stabilizer and if you use a lot, too fast, it can raise the CYA level too high.

We'll wait for tomorrow :wink:

Unfortunately that's what I was afraid of....too high CYA.

High CYA means shocking to clear it up will be unpractical (using alot of chlorine-see the CYA chart in my sig) and probably unsuccessful - especially with no way to test and folks coming Saturday.

You need to drain/refill. If you have a way to quickly drain water - like vacuming to waste - or renting a submersible pump - and replacing at least 50% of your water today with fresh.... and then shocking the heck out of it for the next 24-48 hours....but even then, the outlook for the party isn't good.

I hate to tell you, chancing of swimming by Saturday are slim. :cry:

I wish that was an option but I am on a well. I bought new sand for the filter I figure the old has been in there about 5-6 years. When my husband comes home I will try that. Any other suggestions?
frustratedpoolmom said:
Unfortunately that's what I was afraid of....too high CYA.

High CYA means shocking to clear it up will be unpractical (using alot of chlorine-see the CYA chart in my sig) and probably unsuccessful - especially with no way to test and folks coming Saturday.

You need to drain/refill. If you have a way to quickly drain water - like vacuming to waste - or renting a submersible pump - and replacing at least 50% of your water today with fresh.... and then shocking the heck out of it for the next 24-48 hours....but even then, the outlook for the party isn't good.

I hate to tell you, chancing of swimming by Saturday are slim. :cry:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.