Broken Main Drain Cover Assistance

adam_d

Apr 22, 2014
Oklahoma
My main drain cover screws were very rusted and broke off.
My main drain is a Hayward drain (not exact on the model yet, thinking something around SP1052) - I'm sure the side connection is 2", thinking the bottom is 1.5" though. But instead of a Hayward Cover, it has a Paramount SDX 2.5 Model.

The screws are broken off just below the plastic ring so will have a tough time removing them.

A quick fix I'm currently working on is buying a vented piece of threaded PVC to screw into the drain connection to prevent debris. I have no plumbing from main drain to equipment pad, it only goes to my skimmer, so suction from it is minimal.

My confusion comes from the ring that the cover support plate screws on to. It appears to be specific to the SDX model due to the way the holes line up. All of the Hayward rings I see are evenly spaced around the plate. Also, the only replaceable ones I see are for vinyl pools.

Would fixing it require pulling out the entire main drain or is there an easier way? From all the videos I've seen, I can't find any that shows how to replace one.

So the first image is a close model to my drain. The 2 gold plated screw holes are made of all plastic on mine, and 1 is broken off. The red ring you see is where there appears to be a mounting ring (even though I don't see how it is attached to the drain) that is flush with the edge of the drain. That is where the mounting holes are for the SDX model shown below. The circles on the SDX model are the mounting holes that line up with the ones on the flush ring from the first picture.

If the mounting ring is non-removable, perhaps somebody drilled those holes for the SDX plate? They just look manufactured since they're perfectly round.

I would like to just use a hayward drain cover but as stated, one of the mounting holes has broken.

N1512__66425.1443119634.1280.1280.jpg
cover.jpg

Here is a picture of the actual drain (sorry for the quality, in the deep end).

The red circle is one of the the drains original mounting holes. The yellow ones are the ones that match the SDX Cover. Perhaps this is just the lip of the drain and not a mounting ring after all? As I said, the holes look too perfect for somebody to have drilled them by hand, making me think it was made that way.
my_drain.jpg

Just re-uploaded it. Nobody with SCUBA that I know. I've read suggestions of hiring somebody to drill some new holes. I know that's always an option (I think that's what originally occurred or they did it when the pool was drained.) I inspected it today and it looks like there is no external mounting ring. Somebody just drilled holes into the body of the drain.

Easiest solutions I've found was to:

1) Plug the main drain and not use it.
2) Install a threaded piece of PVC with a screen on the end and not use a main drain cover (not really recommended, I know)
3) Install a Main Drain adaptor (see below) and then buy one of the original Hayward Covers. No drilling required.

Main Drain Adapter

Probably going with option 3. Have it done for about $70.

I'd consider this issue solved. Bought the main drain adapter and a Hayward cover. With a few dozen breaths to the deep end, got it all installed. The only cosmetic issue I had is when screwing the cover down all the way, it has a slight bow to to and the cover doesn't lay completely flat, serves it's purpose though.

Only installation tip I had was:

Install the cover screws first before you install the adaptor to get some threads in the plastic (you have to cut through the plastic when you screw them in to get a good hold.) Then take them out, install the adaptor and then install the cover. Makes life much easier instead of having to screw through hard plastic while underwater.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.