Inground pool step leak

Jun 4, 2008
High Point NC
I have a 40,000 gal inground liner pool with a recessed steps that seem to be made of a plastic type of material. The second step has a crack in it about 6" long. Does someone know of a product that would stop the leak for a the summer. The pool is 14 years old and we were planning to install a new liner next year so I guess that we would replace the steps at the same time. Thanks for any help. Bobby

I'm assuming you mean white painted fiberglass steps, they might of cracked from age or improper support. Anyways to fix it permanently would be to use fiberglass and then pool paint to match the white color after your done. This would require draining though. Any other material is kinda temporary since the steps flex when you walk on them, AB putty cracks off, anderson white flexible sealer might work too, Plast-Aid might be a good choice but also becomes very rigid and could crack off. If you are going to replace the steps entirely just make sure to properly support them, When I need to make a permanent repair I prep by sanding the crack and even using dremel then use about 5 layers of fiberglass (force out any bubbles) then I sand smooth and paint with pool paint. The end result looks pretty nice although you loose the diamond pattern in the repaired spot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.