Using acid on tile to remove calcium

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2008
Lake Forest, CA
I need to spray/apply some muriatic acid on my tile in a few places to remove some calcium buildup, and I want to make sure that I don't damage the tile grout while doing it. Can the acid/water mixture stay on the tile for a while before rinsing it off, or will the grout start to get eaten away fairly quickly? I'm just wondering, in case some of the calcium is really stubborn and might need acid sitting on it for a while to get rid of it.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi, Greg,

Start with a diluted mixture of say 5:1. That will probably do nothing so then try 3:1.

The misture will foam visibly when it is cutting the calcium.

Likewise, it will foam visibly if it starts to cut your grout as well.

If there is any way you can tape off the grout to prevent the acid from being on it, that is the best.

Short of that, simply keep it off the grout as much as you can and if it starts to cut the grout, have a rag handy to quickly dilete it with pool water.

It's not instantaneous and, with a little common sense, you should be able to make it work pretty well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.