Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Basket in skimmer keeps floating up when not under pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Basket in skimmer keeps floating up when not under pressure

Basket in skimmer keeps floating up when pump isn't used. We have our pool on a timer to run several hours each morning and each night, but when the filter isn't running the basket floats and the leaves and junk fall into the pipes of the skimmer and then into the pump clean out. Is there a way to weigh this down with out hurting it? I know idealy we'd run the pump more often but with just me and DH home and the pool covered under the solar blanket I'd like to keep the electricity for the ac in the house and not waste it on the pool. My numbers are ok too. Thanks, Kimrst
    5 years 18' Intex Frame pool, July 2009 upgrade, 28ft rnd used Doughboy, 1hs Hayward Power Flow pump, Doughboy DE filter.TF test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Basket in skimmer keeps floating up when not under pressure

You can just put a rock in the basket. Just make sure the rock is bigger than the hole in the bottom of the skimmer so it can't fall in and get stuck if it ever falls out of the basket.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

3. Back To Top    #3

mine kinda locks in. just twist it a little bit until the basket locks in. you may not have this feature.
    18' 52" deep laguna agp with pentair 1 1/2 hp pump and 22" filter, intex swg

4. Back To Top    #4

The doughboy baskets do this.

Same with mine.

Just drop a smooth river rock into it. Works like a charm.
    18' Round ABG (8000 gallon)
    Hayward X-Stream Cartridge Filter
    1.5hp Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    80 sq. ft. solar panels
    Goldline automated solar controller

5. Back To Top    #5

It even happens in in ground pools. My Hayward basket does the same. I keep a rock in it.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

A rock will work, if you want a more "real" solution try installing the "Skimmer Angel" google it.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought an expensive weighted basket because the cheapies didn't seal as well around the top of the basket to the ring of the overflow and it helped with that too. Metal handle and a weight built into the bottom of it.
    20,000 US Gallon Oval with diving well but no board :( Hayward s244t2 & Multiport SP71621
    1hp AO Smith WhisperFlo pump / basket Part 7-177450-03 / 3 returns, well drain connected to jacuzzi overflow
    baracuda version 3 run to the overflow; side hookup add in process.

8. Back To Top    #8

I cable-tied a weight to the bottom of the basket. I had used a rock in the basket but got tired of pulling the rock from the junk before I dumped it.

alternate-to-rock-in-skimmer-basket-t10051.html
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

I put a crystal in mine. i don't have to clean it too much being indoor. good vibes though.
    AG 4000 gal.13' round Louisburg(cedar sides,top rails) Vinyl liner commercial Watsu pool
    indoor, 96 degree, AutoPilot digital salt chlorinator, Chemtrol 250 automated controler
    CarefreeClearwater ion generator, Mecomatic acid feed, Whisperflo WFE-4 1 h.p. pump
    Pentair Master temp 250 HD gas heater, Pentair CC200 filter