Moved into the house about a week ago, completely green pool, had been green for approx 3.5 months. Pump had been dead/off for approx 2 months. Filter had not been cleaned, ever, it seemed. Infloor cleaning system also malfunctioning. I hired a "good" pool guy, he promised crystal clear water in 3 days. He replaced the pump, the light, and dumped 2 gallons of *something* in the pool and came back 2 days later. Still green, he said he couldn't do anything about it without draining it, promised to bring sump pump the next day. I said OK (uneducated).
Next day came, no show, so I went to pool store, they said "Don't drain it!! Plaster will crack!!". Fired pool guy, bought 300 bucks in shock/algaecide/other stuff, dumped 8 pounds of shock and 2 bottles of algaecide in, the next day it was clearish with lots of dead stuff on the bottom. Brushed it all up, reshocked it with another 8 pounds of shock, took sample in, they sold me 2 10 pound bottles of Sodium Bicarb, 1 bottle of Phosfree (uneducated me), and 1 bottle of Soda Ash. Was told to dump ALL Sodium Bicarb in and 1/2 litre of the Phosfree. Did that.
The Next day, looked a lot better, except I had a bunch of yellowish algae in some shaded areas and some nasty black stuff nearby (see pics). Started doing my own research, found this site, ordered my test kit, fired my pool store, and dumped 3 192oz bottles of Clorox bleach in, helped a lot, but still have some black and yellow algae, I want it gone!! Rubbing the Black Stains with a Cl Puck seemed to do nothing. Rubbing the Yellow Stains with a Cl Puck seemed to do the job.
Here's my stats as I remember them:
CYA - 90 (Pool store number)
TDS - 340 (they said that's high, we need to drain it in off season)
CI - 0?? (Pool store number)
FC > 3 (my crappy test kit number)
CC = ??
TC = ??
TA = 250 (Prior to selling me the bicarb it tested at 75)
Ph = 7.2-7.4 (Prior to Bicarb/SodaAsh/etc it was 6.8)
So here are my questions:
If I shock it to the level in the Pool Calc, I have to bring it up to some ridiculous level, is this going to hurt my plaster?
Can I test the CI myself? 0 is hard to believe and if it is 0 I think I need to fix this first!
Are the black stains black algae or something else?
Also, instead of having a Pressure Gauge I have a line running to the outbound PVC from my filter (see pic). What is that?
Thanks for any help you provide!
P.s. Will upload files later, having issue with file size!