Can't raise PH

chem geek said:
If you have a bottle, just look at the ingredients list to see what it says. Yellow Treat is 88.8% sodium bromide as shown here. As shown here, Yellow Treat Plus is no longer registered (the registration was cancelled). According to this PDF file from United Chemical, there is no EPA registration number associated with the product and no patents. With no EPA registration number as a pesticide, I'm wondering what in the heck it contains and how, as not being an official pesticide, it could kill algae. I had assumed it was the same as Yellow Treat, but perhaps with some additional component.

According to text such as found here and in the PDF file linked to above, this is claimed to be an algae stain remover (including mustard algae stain "cleanup") and they are not claiming that it kills algae which is probably how they can get away with not registering it with the EPA (or maybe they just want the product out there now and will later change the labeling and claims after they get EPA approval).

I checked the label and there isn't any ingredients listed it only says patent pending, the representative said they have difficulty releasing new chemicals since the EPA restrictions in California are relatively high. They have been trying to release a cyanuric acid reducer for the past few years but the restrictions as well as another company claiming it is their chemical have been holding it up.

X-PertPool said:
I checked the label and there isn't any ingredients listed it only says patent pending
I think the pending patent is this one. It is a combination of sodium bromide, sodium sulfamic acid, sodium hexametaphosphate, disodium phosphate, and tetrasodium pyrophosphate. Since it has at least some sodium bromide, I don't know why the representative said it didn't have the "masking" effect on chlorine after using it. Perhaps it's at a lower dose so the effect doesn't last as long, though the patent only implies that it's less than 70% sodium bromide by weight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.