Maybe the pool is just settling?

Jun 19, 2009
Delaware
This morning, I noticed that the water is about a half an inch below the fill line. We were told to keep the water to the middle screws on the skimmer. The pool was installed last Thursday. We had to wait 72 hours to place the ladder, so on Monday, it was our first day swimming. I did notice last Saturday or Sunday that the water fell a little below that line, so we filled it back until it was back to where it started. I don't think evaporation can take that much water... can it? :shock:

I looked around for a leak, but there isn't one. We run the filter 6 hours on and 6 off. It's on right now and my husband didn't see any leaking. We didn't see any water around it when it was off this morning either.

My question is could the pool still be settling? We were going to call about the ripples in the top of the lining today (there are a few wrinkles... don't think it's a huge deal, but hey... what do I know?!), so I wanted to have him add this question to the list.

Other than that, our water is sparkling, we're reading up on how to weigh down the ladder, and all is well. Thank you! :goodjob:

MikeInTN said:
1/2 inch over 3 days is feasible, especially if it's dry and hot. I don't think it's the pool settling, just evaporation would be my bet.

Oh thank goodness! So, I do keep filling it back up to the line every couple of days then? How many people do that every 3 days? :lol: Also, wouldn't that mess up the balance of the pool chemicals?

I just don't want to screw anything up too bad! :mrgreen: Thanks for your reply... I freaked out a little this morning. I thought evaporation was just a little, not a half an inch. It HAS been dry and hot now that you've mentioned it...

I have to add water about every 3 or 4 days during the hot part of the summer, and especially when I start running a fountain to cool the pool. In fact, I had to top up the pool this past weekend on the 4th...only to have to drain it down some two days later because of all the rain we got Saturday night and Sunday.. :grrrr: Adding in 1/2 inch of fresh water isn't going to affect your water balance greatly, if at all. Over time you might notice a change, especially if your fill water has high TA or something like that, but you should catch that with your testing, and compensate when needed. It's not something that would make you do a full set of tests after every top up, though.

Yep, when you notice it get low, throw the hose in and top it back up. :goodjob: Don't worry, we all freaked out quite a bit when we first started out with a pool. You'll get the hang of it in no time. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.