Chlorine Block

Hello again,
I just got the water tested once again and the results were as follows:
FC-3
pH-7.6
CYN-25
Yesterday I put in 5 bags of 73% cal-hypo in the morning and 3 jugs of 6% bleach in the evening. Somehow this has resulted in the levels now being at 3 PPM this morning. So the chlorine held through the night, albeit it with a large infusion of chlorine. My DE filter clogs with 1-2 hours of cleaning it so I have been dealing with that as well. What should I do now? Would it be most advantageous to shock again as the green algae is becoming lighter and kill it once and for all or take a more conservative approach and just maintain the current chlorine level at 3 PPM?

Thanks

If you put that much chlorine in, and your FC is now 3, the FC did NOT hold overnight.

You need your own testkit, with an FAS-DPD test.

You need to raise your Chlorine level up to 12 and hold it there until the overnight loss is 1ppm or less. Read How To Shock your Pool and "How to perform the overnight FC loss test" in Pool School.

You shock until the water is clear, holding a level of 3 will ensure that you don't see clear water.

verun said:
Hi again,
So I put the 5 one pound bags of 70% Cal-hypo in the water and allowed the pump to run for around 4-5 hours this afternoon. After that time I took the pool water to the pool store and had it tested for FC. They claim that the level was 3 PPM! Could this be possible if I put 5 bags of shock in. What should I go about doing now?

Thanks

Verun,

I'd run the pump long that 4-5 hours. The water needs to circulate and the filter needs to get the crud out of the pool. Keep it running. There really are no short cuts. Cleaning the filters is a pain, but they are doing their job and getting out the algae. Keep the water moving.

Hi Again,
So I went back to the pool store again (hopefully the last since I should be getting my test kit tomorrow) and they told me that levels were these:
FC: 6.0
pH: 7.7
CYA: 18
I don't know how my CYA level could be 18 ppm from 25 ppm this morning (probably error). The FC seems to be stabilizing (only a loss of 6 ppm since this morning) . The pH jumped .1 since this morning (I don't know if this is a result of just shocking). This morning I poured in 2 bottles of 6% bleach as per the pool calculator to get the levels up to 12 ppm. Should I get the FC level back up to 12 ppm now or worry about the other levels (which may not be reliable)?

Thanks

raise it back up to 12 and keep it there until your water is clear and you lose 1ppm or less of FC overnight.

Variation of 10ppm on CYA is acceptable...but I do not trust the pool store readings that much...you'll have a better idea once you get your kit.

verun said:
Hello again,
I just got the water tested once again and the results were as follows:
FC-3
pH-7.6
CYN-25
Yesterday I put in 5 bags of 73% cal-hypo in the morning and 3 jugs of 6% bleach in the evening. Somehow this has resulted in the levels now being at 3 PPM this morning. So the chlorine held through the night, albeit it with a large infusion of chlorine. My DE filter clogs with 1-2 hours of cleaning it so I have been dealing with that as well. What should I do now? Would it be most advantageous to shock again as the green algae is becoming lighter and kill it once and for all or take a more conservative approach and just maintain the current chlorine level at 3 PPM?

Thanks

Remember, what is going on is that when you add chlorine and it hits the algae, the contacted algae and the chlorine both get killed. After the easy-to-get algea gets hit, if there is any chlorine left, then you hope it can find the hard-to-get algae as it circulates the pool. Meanwhile, the dead algae starts to clog the filter making it hard for what chlorine is left at that point get circulated so that it can contact the algae in the hard to get to places like around lights and ladders and poor circulation areas. Now, this algae is way worse than cockroaches in that it multiplies so very fast, so if there is any algae living anywhere in the pool it is just gonna come back, fast, as soon as conditions allow. You need to keep the chlorine levels up, keep the circulation going good and brush in the hard to circulate areas to flush out all those bugs-- I mean algae.

Anona -- who let chlorine slip to 1.5 yesterday (neglected 4 days) and now has a slight green ring on some rock edging and if off to get more chlorine this very moment as I bumped it up to 5 last night and to 8 this morning and I think more chlorine is needed ASAP cause if it doesn't go away I need to shock for a few days.

Is it okay if I just run the pump on recirculate for now so that I can filter/vaccum out all of the dead algae later on and avoid having to constantly dismantle the filter to clean it out and use more DE?

Thanks,
verun

Hi Again,
I finally got my test kit in the mail, TF-100. I tested the water once the sun went down and it yielded these results.
FC-7.5
CC-1.5
TC-9
pH-7.2
T/A-110
I had one last test at the pool store this morning (yay!), they told me that my FC was at 5 ppm so I came home and added the appropriate amount of bleach to increase it to 12 ppm. I surmise from the results that there is still a fair amount of algae in the pool. Where should I go from here: 1) Do the overnight FC test and see how much FC I loose, 2)add bleach to bring the FC total to 12 ppm? Should I leave the pump running throughout the night or just turn it off? The pool is still green but the filter seems to be clearing it pretty well. Also, there are supposed to be thunder storms tonight and I don't know what kind of effect that may have on the FC levels or the other levels (I am assuming the pH will decrease).
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
more likely ph will increase and even more likely you will never notice any effect from it.
anyway, you need to be on the shock plan per pool school. your cc's alone indicate that. keep shocking, brushing and running that pump!

Your CC is high at 1.5. You want it .5 or less, so you need to keep shocking.

Don't bother with an overnight test tonight, just add enough to reach 12 tonight, and then repeat the test in the a.m. and raise it back up to 12.

Leave the filter running.

You need to continue shocking. You should also do a CYA test tomorrow with your new test kit (unless you did it already and forgot to post the result).

Rain often raises the PH, though it can go either way. The storms will also use up a little extra chlorine.

Given your current numbers and the expected storm, there isn't much point in doing an overnight FC loss test tonight. You have a ways to go yet.

Hello,
I have completed the test again this morning and these are the numbers I came up with:
FC: 10
CC: 2
TC: 12
CYA: <20

It is now evident to me that my CYA is low, of course the pool store has been reading it at 25 so I am not sure what I should do about the CYA levels. There must still be a fair amount of organic material in the pool because the FC managed to drop by 2-3 PPM overnight and CC is higher than last night. I am assuming I should first bring the FC level back up to shock level first and then worry about the CYA levels later.

Yup. You'll need less chlorine with lower CYA. The down side is you'll lose a lot of FC to sunlight.

I would suggest adding enough CYA to raise it to 30. You can continue shocking while you do this. Then when everything is stable you can raise the CYA to 40-50.

Make sure the pool is uncovered so the sun can help destroy the CCs. Keep the FC up to shock level and you'll make progress.

Hi Again,
I tested and came up with FC=9 and CC=1.5. I added enough to bring it back up to 12 PPM about 4.5 hours ago and the sun is bright and direct so I'm sure I am getting a good amount of my FC eaten by the sun. If I add the CYA now and put it in a sock, should I- 1) Put it in a tube sock in the skimmer or by the returns and 2) Just run it on recirculate because the filter clogs very quickly?
Thanks

Hi,
I am going to be adding cyranuric acid to the pool (18,000 gal.). Would it be better to hang the sock in front of the returns or placed in the skimmer? I have been back washing and cleaning the filter very often since I have been socking to kill algae? Basically, which method will ensure I will not be wasting any CYA if I choose to back wash/clean the filer or should I not do that at all if I am using sold CYA?
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.