I bought a house w/ a pool at the end of last summer and hired a local free lance guy to do my pool closing, as I was going to be out of town for several weeks around the time I wanted the pool closed. In hindsight this was mistake, when I opened the pool this summer, it was green, had a bunch of leaves rotting in the bottom etc.
So I did my best, shocked shocked shocked, and floc'ed and had the water looking pretty nice, but it wouldn't hold chlorine. I checked the CYA and it was zero. ph was 7.2. I discussed it w/ the local pool supply store, who thought it may have been chlorine demand (which after reading about it, sounded very plausible). They tested my water and said that it would take 60 gallons (yikes!) of liquid shock to overcome the demand. When I asked them about the possibility of using non-chlorine shock/mps, they said no, it wasn't what their distributor recommends.
But after reading this article, especially the last two lines which state you can use a 1:1 ratio w/ non-chlorine shock rather than the 10:1 ratio of chlorine, I was interested in the possibility of doing so.
Anyone have any thoughts? I saw another post from chem geek that stated its not cost effective to use mps rather than chlorine to rid the ammonia, but the above article seems to say doing so allows you to skip the ammonia -> monochloramine -> dichloramine -> trichloramine -> N2, HCl, H2O pathway and go straight from ammonia -> N2, HCl, H2O.
I just want to make sure I can't simply buy 1/10th the amount of MPS before I pickup 60 bottles of chlorine. Thanks.