Need lots of plumbing help....

Mar 21, 2009
Detroit
Ok, so I figured out I have a leak in my pool somewhere, I was losin between 350-650 gallons of water every 12-24 hours depending on when I was running my pump and how I was pulling the water in.

I let the water run out until it stopped over the long weekend and it stopped right below the skimmer line. I plugged my skimmers, ran off the main drain only and voila, the pool held water. When I plug the deep end skimmer the pump gets some air introduced to it and when I plug my shallow end skimmer the air goes away. Of course opening both mean getting some air in but not as much as just opening the shallow end one.

However, when the pool was drained to below the skimmers when I poured water into the skimmer pots the deep end one kept running out and the shallow end one stayed filled much much longer, but would eventually run dry as well. The question is now, which skimmer line is the leak closest to? when I was losing water I didn't see any wet or disturbed ground BUT now the concrete triangle pad the shallow end skimmer is in seemd loose and wobbly.

One more issue. I was running off only the main drain for about 36 hours so I could see if the pool was holding water and for some reason the pump pot seemed to have a lot of air in it even though when I would run the pump after turning off the skimmer valve but not plugging the skimmers it would empty of all air. Then tonight while I was brushing everything the pump lost ALL suction and even when I opened the skimmers and opened the skimmer valve it wouldn't suck any water or push anything(air or water) out the returns. However if I fill the pump pot with a hose, close up the pot and turn it on it will clear that water instantly. I used a spare air device to dive to the bottom and check for anything plugging the main drain but there is nothing. HELP! What can I do? Should I hook an air compressor to the pump side and try blowing any blockage that might be in it back out the main drain?

I should probably add that when I stuck the garden hose in the pump pot and let it run it only filled up to the intake pipe, but never filed and overflowed. This would seem to go against the idea of that intake pipe being plugged up. I also disconnected the pump, filled it with water held my hand over the intake pipe there was tons of suction so I imagine the pump is good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.