Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on Sealing concrete deck and copping

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on Sealing concrete deck and copping

So here is a photo. I guess I am thinking of doing some sealing if appropriate for 2 reasons:

1) Protect against salt water as I now have a salt pool.
    2) Protect against dirt and stains to make things look newer and easier to clean.

Any suggestions on whether this is even needed and if so what product would you recommend?
    I have had thoughts of everything from Thompsons water sealer, to epoxy clear coatings, to grout sealer.

Thanks,

Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on Sealing concrete deck and copping

hopefully you can get a landscapers opion or you can try posting the question on lawnsite...it's a pretty cool landscaping forum...but my opinion (check with a expert) some unilock patio paver sealer would probably hold pretty well and last a few years...I find thompson's to be useless (just my bad experiences) more like paint thinner that washes away in a month than a water sealer.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

The unilock stuff is good.

Who did your coping?

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm also interested in the solution. As we just finished out build, it is something I may need to consider.

Also, do you have any issues with the grout separating from the brick in the area of the concrete deck seams?
    Clint
    Pics of the build process
    34x16x25 Lagoon IG Vinyl 14,800gal (Oxford Tile/Glimmerglass 20mil)
    Pentair: Intelliflo VS3050 pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Clean and Clear 320 cartridge filter, LA01N 3/4hp booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

We bought the pool wih the house so don't know who did the copping work.
    The pool builder like so many is no longer in business.

Yes with time I did have about a 1/8 to 1/16" crack where the copping meets the concrete. I just finished filling that with a fine grout that is almost like caulking from HD. It was pretty easy to do and removed one more place where the ants like to build nests.

My next project is filling in the expansion joints like the one in the photo with Silkaflex or similar concrete gap caulking.

Thanks for the rec on the pager sealer. I will try to find some.

Lee
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, good, i was hoping you didnt pay for it. The coping shlud have been cut so the joints would be uniform. The expansion joints with concrete are a problem like that. thats why a solid stone coping looks better, IMO, with concrete like that.

I would look into the Unilock stuff. They have good stuff.