How long does the test kits last?

Jun 25, 2009
Loogootee, IN
Hi Gang,

I see a lot of reference to purchasing a Taylor K-2006 and the TF100. My question is, Will these test kits last longer than one pool season?

The cheap 6 way HTH kit I purchase, says to dispose of it when the pool season is over. Only being able to swim roughly 3 1/2 months out of the year here in my neck of the woods, makes it hard for me to justify paying 65-75 dollars for a test kit.

Only being able to swim roughly 3 1/2 months out of the year here in my neck of the woods, makes it hard for me to justify paying 65-75 dollars for a test kit.
There are hundreds of folks here that would disagree. The money you save by testing accurately and not blindly buying "magic bullets" at the pool store (trying to get your pool balanced or rid yourself of an algae bloom) will pay for your test kit even if your swim season is two weeks.

I am not telling you this because I sell test kits.....I am telling you from experience what my kit has done for me. Others will attest to the same experience.

The TF100 should last a residential user at least 2 years with normal usage. There are some situations that can use up some of the reagents more quickly, but they are rare. Also, refills are less expensive than replacing the entire kit.

How much the kit is worth depends on how much you spend a year on chemicals and how often things tend to go wrong. A top quality test kit can save you dramatic amounts of money on chemicals compared to a cheap kit. Some people save hundreds of dollars, others not so much. Of course this effect is more significant with a larger pool. Some very small pool owners won't spend enough on chemicals, even with problems, to make up the price difference.

PachinkoPlayer said:
Hi Gang,

I see a lot of reference to purchasing a Taylor K-2006 and the TF100. My question is, Will these test kits last longer than one pool season?
It's not just a reference, it's what is recommended :wink:
Comparison articles are in Pool School FYI. And yes, the kits will last more than one season.
From what I have read (&personal experience w/the TF100), most of us get at least two seasons and then some.
Certain refills may be needed by some members if they run into a big problem.

The cheap 6 way HTH kit I purchase, says to dispose of it when the pool season is over.
Depending on how the kit is stored/maintained, the cheap 6 way or any other kit may be ruined.

Only being able to swim roughly 3 1/2 months out of the year here in my neck of the woods, makes it hard for me to justify paying 65-75 dollars for a test kit.
The cheap 6 way kit would work pretty good for someone with a small pool. You are able to just drain and refill if you have big issues. In fact, duraleigh (who sells the TF100) does not recommend the TF100 for a pool your size. We are trying to get more info for folks with the smaller pools. : Have you seen this thread? simplifying-bbb-for-very-small-pools-e-g-intex-t14533.html?hilit=small%20pools

BTW, the BEST investment we made in our pool is a good test kit. It is what puts pool owners in charge of their pools! :-D

I agree...since we got our water balanced, our past months cost for chemicals was $0...now I am using a swg, but otherwise it would just be bleach. On our last pool, that made me vow to never own a pool again (my better half and TFP convinced me otherwise :hammer: ) I was spending an avg of $140 a month in shock/algaecide/metal-out :blah: and hated the smell and feel of the water...just MHO

The Kit pays for itself in the 1st month of ownership

eeek, um if I offended some of you folks, I certainly apologize! It wasn't my intention what so ever to down/dog your recommendations.

I guess I shouldn't have put the comment about

"Only being able to swim roughly 3 1/2 months out of the year here in my neck of the woods, makes it hard for me to justify paying 65-75 dollars for a test kit."

Now that I have read it a few times, it does sorta sound kinda rude.

I apologize and will proof read my posts more carefully in the future. And since I have read more about the T100 and the different tests that can be performed and can also get more than one season out of one of the better test kits and refills , I will definitely be purchasing one in the spring! :goodjob:

I live in Florida, have a test kit that is abo0ut 5 years old that still has good reagents. I store it in a cabinet in the spare bathroom. The only reagents with a short (2 year) shelf life are the FAS reagent and, if not stored correctly, the DPD powder. All the other reagents should last through several seasons. A good test kit is actually economical to use because there is no question as to what the results are (once you get the hang of testing. At first some people waste some reagents but you get the hang of it pretty quick.)
The amount of money that you save in chemicals really does pay for the kit very quickly.
The main difference you will see will be the first time you do an FAS-DPD chlorine test. You will know exactly what the resutls of both your FC and CC are without any questions since you are not trying to match shades of yellow to a comparator. Your HTH test can only test TC, btw, so it's not giving you the information that you really need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.