Need help new pool and green water!

Jul 7, 2009
Sioux Falls, SD
We are just getting started with a above ground vinyl intex 16x31x52 pool with a SWG all of a sudden yesterday it turned GREEN water no algea on the sides and such shocked pool readings today at this point after adding shock and swim 3 - 1lb bags and running the filter the resluts are still green water and the following strip results
TH 400
FC 3-5
pH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 100

Please let me know we have 5 girls using the pool all the time and really need to get this ready for them to use again

it's cal-hypo.
mom25: you need to read pool school, specifically how to shock and defeating algae. you need to start shocking (with bleach or liquid chlorine) and you need a good test kit. your high CYA is going to be a big problem also, if you can drain water I would highly recommend it as your cya may be even higher than 100, and you are going to have a ton of headaches, starting now. you may start fighting a losing battle if you don't/can't drain some water. fortunately with an SWG you don't need to drain as much as you would if you didn't have one. drain water until your cya is around 80. where are you located?
pool-school/

okay the shock and swim is HTH brand can't find the list it is storming and can't get out to the shed to get the list of ingredients, pool is clearing a bit but the readings late in the afternoon around 5pm are
FC 4
pH 7.2
TA 120
CH 400
CYA 40

The filter is dark brown and we have changed out twice today, running the filter around the clock since 9am and the SWG is running the 12 hours we were told in our book to run it. I am afraid to dump plain bleach in there but if that is what I need to do I will. Also the water outlet has a rust-brown look around it. pool is less green but not clear yet. I have the fancy testing products and willing to buy whatever we need to get this clear and start using again
Thanks
Jenn

the intex swg is pretty strong, and you shouldn;t need to run it that long once your pool is cleared. For now it's just fighting the algae, but can;t keep up...I would shut it off and shock with bleach.

1st step, I know its kind of expensive, but strips just plain and simple do not work...please do yourself a favor and invest in a test kit recommended in pool school. We find the tf100 at tftestkits.net to be the best value. Armed with such kit, you will ensure your water is safe for the girls to swim in...I have 4 runtlings myself and it gives me piece of mind.

Read pool shool...you need to shock your pool with just plain old bleach...shock is something you do to your water by adding chlorine...you don;t buy shock...it's just marketing.

Walmart 182oz jugs of great value unscented bleach is one of the best values at $2.54 a jug...your fighting an algae bloom...so you'll need to read the how to on shocking your pool.

Order the test kit asap..and while your waiting you can dump 1 182oz jug of bleach in the morning and 1 jug tomorrow night..then the next day same routine except 3/4 in am and 3/4 jug in evening.....before you do this on day 2...collect a sample and ask your local pool store to test the water...and ask for the results...post them here and well tell you what you need...do not buy any chemicals from the pool store until you ask us for advice..I'm guessing the chlorine/bleach dosage based on your pool volume and being somewhat aggressive since we are not sure of you CYA level. Once you get a good test kit (TF100 ot taylor k2006)...post water results here and we will fine tune from there.

The bad news...don;t let the kids swim until were done shocking and we are sure the water is safe. Good luck...feel free to buy at least 10 jugs of the bleach...just make sure it is the unscented kind....clorox will do just fine as well...just a little pricier

Good luck and welcome to TFP :goodjob:

sorry forgot to ask...how did you fill the pool well, city tap water or trucked in? I ask because there is a chance you may have iron or other metals present...we'll assume for now that it's an algae bloom since the shock you added seems to be helping somewhat...but you may want to ask the local pool store to test for metals if the can.

Open up a bottle of POP (Pool Owner patience) and we'll get this pool cleared for you...there is a reason this place is called trouble free pool...you'll get ther...most of us started just like you :goodjob:

reebok said:
JasonLion said:
reebok said:
it's cal-hypo.
Don't count on it. There are at least five products with names very similar to that. In addition to the obvious one with cal-hypo in it, there are and several which contain MPS.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals ... ck-N-Swim/

Reebok...many manufactures call it shock and swim...here is proteam's version which is a non-chlorine shock

http://www.poolspachemicals.com/files/shock.pdf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mom25ms said:
We are just getting started with a above ground vinyl intex 16x31x52 pool with a SWG all of a sudden yesterday it turned GREEN water no algea on the sides and such shocked pool readings today at this point after adding shock and swim 3 - 1lb bags and running the filter the resluts are still green water and the following strip results
TH 400
FC 3-5
pH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 100

Please let me know we have 5 girls using the pool all the time and really need to get this ready for them to use again

Trying to figure out what led up to this. You said the readings above are for AFTER adding the Shock and Swim. Do you know what your chlorine level was before adding the Shock and Swim? I wonder if something went wrong with the swg and it wasn't putting out chlorine. You need to verify that its producing chlorine and you have the correct level of salt. Or something more simple like lack of power? Just guessing.

Kevin

okay I have done the bleach thing, cleaned and vaccum the pool looking a pale green, took some water to the local pool place waiting the kit to arrive. They of course want me to buy stuff and were vague about the results so this is what they gave me
Total Chlorine is .8
Free chlorine is .5
pH is 7.7
Alk is 93
CYA 1
What does this mean, SWG runs 12 hours a day as directions say and we have not been swimming temp as been low 80's and we have storms the last 3-4 nights with large amounts of rain fall.
Thanks
I have opened the can of POP (pool owner patiences) but the girls are not drinking that they are BEGGING to get in the pool

Please post correct CYA results if possible, you've posted 100, then 40 and now 1...

The SWG should be off until you clear your water, then you can pinpoint if it's even functioning.

You need to keep adding bleach to reach your shock level for your CYA (whatever that is) testing up to every hour for the FC level and adding bleach to hold it up to shock level.

If you are letting the FC drop down to .8 you are not holding shock level and you won't clear the pool.

The latest test results were from the local pool store that ran the test for me as I am waiting for the test kit you have recommended the pool is clear and sparkling but results today from the dipstick we got with the the pool as as follows I am waiting for the kit
FC 3
pH 7.2
TA 120
TH 200
CYA 0

mom25ms said:
The latest test results were from the local pool store that ran the test for me as I am waiting for the test kit you have recommended the pool is clear and sparkling but results today from the dipstick we got with the the pool as as follows I am waiting for the kit
FC 3
pH 7.2
TA 120
TH 200
CYA 0

Your CYA needs to be brought up. Considering that the first (and 2nd?) test was from a "strip", I think this result is most reliable since it was taken with an (assumably) reliable kit from a pool store.

Kevin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.