Is it OK too vacuum filter sand from returns? Update 13th $

haybird

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Ontario
Hi,

We had some work done on our sand filter(had an o-ring replaced). Now there is
piles of filter sand near the returns that was blowen there.

1. Is it OK to vacuum this sand with our manual pool vacuum?

2. When we now shut the pump off and turn it back on sand blows out the returns on start up,
it never did this before the work was done. Will this correct itself after a few start ups?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Re: Is it OK too vacuum filter sand from returns?

Which o-ring was replaced? Sounds like they got some sand in your standpipe somehow. You're ok to vacuum it up. If it's just sand in the standpipe then it will eventually clear out, but they may also have bumped it and cracked a lateral or something. It only does it at start up?

Thanks for the reply!

Its was the valve tank O-ring. When I checked on the young buck, he was screwing
around with the white pipe that goes down the middle of the tank( looks like white pvc).

He said it lifted when he lifted the contonl assembly. He started removing sand and said it would be fine.

The sand shoots out for the first 10 seconds after the pump is started and settles below the returns.

It seems like quite a pile ,thats why I didn't know if I could vacuum it. Not knowing the working
of a pump I see it going in the pump motor and screwing up the motor.

Thanks again for your help!!

If that pipe shifted there's a very good chance he cracked a lateral. Call the company back, tell them the standpipe shifted, he moved it around without taking the sand out, and now there's sand coming into your pool. The sand needs to be taken out, the lateral assembly inspected/repaired, and new sand put back in.

Thats for the reply!

You nailed it to a tea. The owner was here this morning with the young lad. I see a
standpipe with a lateral broken off setting in my pump house.
Thanks for your help!!

It will be interesting to see the bill when it comes in. I plan on paying for an O-ring
and a 1 hour service call. We will see what his plans are.

The bill came in today. As I had thought his plans where a little different then mine.
He billed me for the Lateral Assembly with center pipe. Plus an extra 1.25 service call and sand.

I called the owner armed with the great information that spishex provided, and suggested that
maybe his young employee should have emptied the sand to reset the pipe. Not try to force it down by wiggling it and jamming down.

He agreed and said he will send another invoice and not to worry about that one. Its much easier to deal with pool people if you have the proper information when they try to tell you something different.

Thanks for the help SPISHEX!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.