Just got my testing kit...first set of numbers

Your FC level is kind of high for day to day and rather low for shocking. That isn't really a problem, unless you are trying to shock.

Your TA is too low if you are using the trichlor tablet feeder. Just fine if you aren't.

CH is a little higher than ideal, but not a big deal at all.

It is probably time to raise your PH a little.

I'm just coming down from a shock. The pool is on the East side of the hosue and gets a lot of sun but it's under a screen lanai and I'm convinced that much of the uv is filtered out. I don't know if that makes a difference as to how fast chlorine gets used up or not but it does take a while to come down..

I like to keep the pH at 7.5 and the TA at 100 so I'm working to make those adjustments.

:cheers:

Just as it filters out some of the heat, a lanai will filter out a lot of UV rays, making your chlorine last longer.

You don't tell us how your water looks?

Your CYA is very, very high.....right on the borderline of causing trouble. Where do you normally run FC

duraleigh said:
Just as it filters out some of the heat, a lanai will filter out a lot of UV rays, making your chlorine last longer.

You don't tell us how your water looks?

Your CYA is very, very high.....right on the borderline of causing trouble. Where do you normally run FC

The water looks great. I was away for 2 weeks and it had a small amout of algae when I returned so I shocked it and it cleared up quickly. I like to keep the chlorine at about 3 on the little test kit color chart.

Butterfly said:
Coastal, are you using the trichlor feeder?

Yes, that is all I used but now I'm switching over to the liquid. But I still need to use the pucks when I go away. I'm still working on getting it regulated so that I have enough pucks to lasst ehile I'm away but keep the feed low enough not to over chlorinate.

This last time away worked out pretty well, there was just a small amout of algae that cleared up quickly after shocking. The next time I'm away, I'll up the feeder from 2 to 2.5 and hope that will eliminate the little algae that I had this time.

We usually get a lot of rain and I lower the water level so the fresh water prolly helps keep the CYA level from getting too high. Although as luck would have it, it hasn't rained much at all this week.

Buggsw said:
I'm sort of surprised with your chlorine that high that you have any CC's at all. Are you holding your chlorine level overnight?

I have not done an overnight test but I just tested this morning and the FC went from yesterday/today 12.5/11 and CC is .5/0

I will do an overnight.

Well here's an interesting note.

I tested the pH and TA again this morning with my old kit like I did yesterday and found it at 7.2 and 80. I decided to test it with the new test kit and found it at 7.5 and 100. I was about to start adjusting, I'm glad I rechecked my results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.