Algae under Steps - how to prevent?

G

Pool looks good, keeping algae off sides and bottom. However, I have wedding-cake type steps. They have some holes in them for circulation, but there's just not enough circulation under the steps to keep algae away from there. I also have a shower liner under the steps that seems to attract algae growth.

Would appreciate any ideas on how to prevent algae from growing under the steps.

Right now, I'm moving them a little and brushing there, but that's not doing anything to the underside of the steps. I seem to remember reading here that one owner put some sort of puck under their steps. Couldn't find it via search -- what type of puck, what type of container to put it in? Other ideas welcome!

Thanks,

Sue
IMGP8453.jpg

Numbers are:
FC: 5
CC: 0
pH: 7.6
CYA: 40
T/A: 90

My honest opinion? Why sweat it?

You can aid th circulation behind and under the steps by putting your fill hose on 'stream' and dropping it back there when you refill. You can put some bleach in a squirt bottle and squish it behind the steps if you want. But really, why?

I have wedding cake steps and have found over the years that yes, algae do grow under the bottom step where it sits on the pool floor and yes, I might have some algae inside the bottom step where the weights are. They're contained there. On the rare occasion that I might see algae creep out from under the steps I brush them away. Or, more often than not, I rub that spot with my big toe when I'm in the water and poof! they're gone.

I guess it's good to hear to not worry about it or at least not to obsess about a little algae under the steps. I know I can never get it all out of my pool because of my steps.

I used to stick one of those 'blue' floater thingys filled with a couple of 3 inch pucks in the space under my steps thinking they might help keep the green stuff out. I don't know if it really helped. I don't do that anymore but the float still lives there until it's needed when we go on vacation.

What's worked best is I got one of those water hose sprayer attachments from the garden section thats on a LONG WAND (designed for watering hanging plants I think). I got the longest one I could find. I can get that thing behind the steps and between the wall and all around the steps. When it looks like it's getting a little green under there I just blast the stuff with the JET sprayer. Since I have an above-ground pool, I can do most of this without even having to get in the pool.

I guess drilling more holes is an option but HOW would one do that with the steps already in place (and with a couple hundred pounds of sand, concrete, pvc, bottles, etc., holding it all in down)?

My stairs have wide slats and I have great water flow (small pool) and it's still the FIRST place to 'go green' when I'm slacking on the numbers.

dpool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.