Bring my borate to 50ppm

Jul 6, 2009
I would like to bring my borate to 50ppm as desribed earlier. Since I already added some borax to get my PH and TA inline, should I include that amount in my overall calculation to reach the 50ppm level? I would think so, but don't want to screw it up. As an FYI my current levels are:

TC: 5
PH: 7.5
TA: 80
CYA: 60
CH: 60

Do I need to get a test kit to measure borates before starting the process or is the measurement by weight good enough to establish the 50ppm level? If I need a test kit can someone recommend the best (accurate) kit?

Also, should I add any calcium cloride to bring the hardness level up to atleast 200? I am running a SWCG with a vinyl pool.

Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions.

Tony

It only takes a little borax to adjust PH, so normally your borate level starts very near zero. Also, you don't need to hit a specific borate level exactly, so a little more or less won't make much of a difference.

The LaMottee Borate test strips are the most practical borate test. They don't read out very precise levels, but it isn't important that you hit the level precisely.

There is no need to add CH to a vinyl pool.

vinyl pool = no need to adjust CH, unless it's too high and causing cloudiness.

On the borates, you could invest in some borate test strips...alternately if you have only had minor borax additions in the past, you can choose either to count your previous additions or not...50 ppm is a guideline and if you land at 60ppm you should still be OK, safe. Also if you shoot for 40ppm you would still have benefits of borates, yet have room for additional borax additions in the future.

Just my thoughts

Sorry just noticed Jason added the same

Thanks for the information. I did my borate load yesterday evening. Testing this morning I have noticed that my PH has come down to 7.2 which should be OK once the kids start playing in the pool. I also saw my TA rise from a very stable 80 to up near 100. I assume it is OK to have the TA up at 100 with a SWCG, right?

Regarding the hardness on a vinyl liner pool. The pool store said since I have a SWC and a heat pump I should keep the hardness in the proper range. Maybe this was a sales pitch (that worked) because I purchased 15lbs of hardness increaser. I hope I didn't do that for nothing.

Calcium prevents damage to plaster surfaces. It doesn't have a significant impact on metal surfaces unless it is way too high and you get calcium scaling. Sometimes it is worth raising the CH level just to satisfy warranty requirements, but you really don't need to raise the CH level in a vinyl pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.