Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 110 connection @ a/c disconnect box

1. Back To Top    #1

110 connection @ a/c disconnect box

well does anyone have any pointers on how to make a 110v connection @ my box for the a/c unit fuses .....wires are ..1 red 1 white 1bare and then 2 greens to load ! !....any takers
    'If you can read this, thank a teacher -and, since it's in English, thank a soldier'

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 110 connection @ a/c disconnect box

Hire an electrician.

Assuming you are talking about pool wiring, you really don't want to tap another circuit to do it. It's trivial to get the 120, but it's not trivial to make it safe for people or equipment.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

actually the connection is for my swamp cooler which is on the outside plug circuit and i was gonna just connect it to one leg of the a/c unit disconnect box to take it off the outside plug circuit!!
    'If you can read this, thank a teacher -and, since it's in English, thank a soldier'

4. Back To Top    #4

You dont want to do that.

5. Back To Top    #5

WHY that's what the installer said he was gonna do if start up was gonna be a constant problem ......what i mean is that it is a 1 hp motor on a mastercool and on start up the 15 amp circuit for outside plugs just isn't enough along with the garage lights and the fridge in the garage and BET I"M NOT UNPLUGGIN THE STOCK OF BUDLIGHT !!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by captianron713
    WHY
    Because it is not safe. The swamp cooler needs to be on a GFCI protected circuit with enough available power. Neither of those are going to be true at the A/C disconnect box.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't do it. It's against code and poses and unsafe condition including a fire hazard. It's just not worth the risk. Get yourself a competent installer.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

8. Back To Top    #8

The swamp cooler needs a breaker on whatever curcuit it's on. If you pull 120 volts off of one leg of the 240 volts, the breaker for that leg is actually only on one pole of the 240 dipole that runs your A/C unit. You will be pulling an uneven load off of the A/C line.

Also, im a little confused on the set up. For your A/C, there should be a black, red, and ground coming from the panel if its 8/2, or black, red, white, and green if it's 8/3 (i'm assuming #8 since the A/C unit is most likely on a 40 amp dipole.
    You need to call a qualified eletrician to fix your problem