pool decking

Aug 21, 2008
Another question for all you pool experts.
Our new pool has the paver stones for decking. Between the stones is sand. Now, whenever it rains or is windy, the sand blows into the pool and leaves gaps between the stones.
Is there anything I can do to either seal in the sand or use another product like grout or concrete or something?

Attachments

• Final 5.JPG
    Final 5.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 721
  • Final 3.JPG
    Final 3.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 718
Dont use any grout/concrete, you will ruin it. The landscaper should have use polymeric sand. Its sand with a polymer in it. After it gets into the joints and gets wet, it hardens up some and wont blow around. If the pavers were put in right, the joints should not be very wide.
Paver pool decks will have some sand that blows around, no way around it. Trade off you make if you do pavers (much preferable to stamped concrete).

You could seal the deck, but that wont really keep the sand from moving a bit. ?UIt really only seals the paver.
Nice looking deck. Unilock pavers?

I agree with Brad...if you have a powerwasher or blower try to get as much of the loose sand out as possible (blow away from pool :-D ) and get polymeric sand...it hardens similar to grout, but not as permanent.

IMO, you should ask the lanscaper to re-do this given they knew it was pool area stone work.... Unless they asked you about it and you chose the cheaper plain sand route

Any paver job should use the poly sand. Its good stuff, just more expensive. The paver job looks pretty good from the pictures. Hard to see the lines and if they are straight, but the cuts around the coping look good. Only other thing they couuld have done is to use 6x6 around the coping as a soldiers course, but that would mean more cuts and more money.

Good paver job with those cuts should run about $20-$22 a sq foot, give or take.

dmanb2b said:
I agree with Brad...if you have a powerwasher or blower try to get as much of the loose sand out as possible (blow away from pool :-D ) and get polymeric sand...it hardens similar to grout, but not as permanent.

IMO, you should ask the lanscaper to re-do this given they knew it was pool area stone work.... Unless they asked you about it and you chose the cheaper plain sand route

The decking was done by the pool builder, I was never given a choice about it and didn't even know it would be an issue. I just knew I didn't want that aggregate stuff as it hurts my feet.
I have no idea what kind of sand he used, I'll have to ask if I can ever get a hold of him again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.