Diary of a swamp

Day 10 (7/14/09)

6:00 am - FC=10, Added 29oz 73% Cal-Hypo
12:00 pm - FC=?, Added 2 jugs 182 oz bleach
5:00 pm - FC=?, Added 2 jugs
8:00 pm - FC=?, Added 1 jug

Egads! I ran out of chem to test chlorine levels. I'm going to attempt readings with the standard 5ppm test w/ half tap and half pool water until I receive the new chems and utilize my previous readings. What else can I do?

Day 11 (7/15/09)

6:00 am - FC=?, Added 2 jugs
10:30 am - FC=?, Added 1 jug
1:30 pm - FC=?, Added 1 jug
4:30 pm - FC=?, Added 2 jugs
8:00 pm - Chems arrived, FC=11.5, Added 2 jugs to bring to 20ppm

Second step is clearly visible now, but still have a ways to go.

Day 12 (7/16/09)

6:00 am - FC=16, Added 14oz of 73% cal-hypo, Added 4 pucks also. Loss = .4 ppm/hr
9:30 am - FC=17.5, Added 1/2 jug of 182oz bleach. Loss = .7 ppm/hr
2:00 pm - FC=10.5, Added 2 1/2 jugs. Loss = 2.1 ppm/hr
8:00 pm - FC=8, Added 43 oz of cal-hypo. Loss = 2 ppm/hr. PH=7.2

Total chlorine amounts used:
62 6% 182oz jugs (11284 oz.)
115 oz 73% cal-hypo
32 oz trichlor

Couple things....why the switch to cal-hypo/pucks?

Have you run a full set of tests lately? The reason I ask is your PH was low a few days ago, even with elevated FC levels. Pucks are acidic and lower PH and TA... just want to make sure this isn't going to be a problem for you. High FC levels (+10) will make the PH read false-high.

Also, did you ever do a CYA test to see where you ended up after the addition? As the pucks will raise that too. IMHO it's better to complete shocking at a lower CYA level so you need less bleach, then once the FC holds, you can increase the CYA if you need to.

What was your calcium level?

You have made definite progress. I looked back at the first swamp photo and you are going strong. Keep it up. :goodjob:

I have left over cal-hypo and pucks from early last year which I try to use sparingly at times to get rid of it and to keep from running to the store so often right now. I've probably only used about 6-8 lbs of cal-hypo since I started so I hope that doesn't affect the calcium level too much. I was at 330 when I started. My last PH test yesterday showed about 7.3 so I'm not sure how falsely above that it would show. The reason for the pucks is to help keep the chlorine level up between readings and help compensate for the heat/sun. I only lost about 2.5 ppm from 6-9:30 am which I think is an improvement. The last CYA test that I personally did showed 20 and that was around the weekend I believe. I went ahead and added about a pound of stabilizer to get it up to about 30. So it should be on the low side and I've been working at keeping the shock level at about 20ppm. CYA testing is always hard for me since my readings always show about 20 less than pool store.

Day 13 (7/17/09)

1:00 am - Received about an inch of rain (I just added about a 1/2 inch yesterday of water so of course it will rain in the middle of July in Texas :roll: )
6:00 am - FC=11.5, Added 31 oz, 73% cal-hypo.

Instructed my wife to add 88 oz of bleach to pool every hour starting at 9:00 am. Based on yesterday's results this would keep it around 20 ppm.

9:00 am - Added 88 oz.
10:00 am - Added 88 oz.
11:00 am - Added 88 oz.
1:00 pm - FC=9, Added 88 oz. The reason for the small add was because my wife said 18 which I assumed to be ppm but she always speaks in drops which I always forget for some reason. I thought it was 18 ppm so I told her to just add 88 oz. to raise 2 ppm. Put cover on pool to reduce loss to sun.
2:00 pm - Added 88 oz.
3:00 pm - Added 88 oz.
4:00 pm - Added 88 oz.
5:00 pm - FC=10.5, Added 2.1 182 oz jugs. Realized she was talking drops, not ppm at this point.
6:00 pm - FC=15, Added 1.2 jugs.
9:00 pm - FC=19, Added 44oz bleach

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The rain last night I assume is the cause for the high chlorine loss today, and the high temps/sun I'm assuming is a cause for the long time and high chlorine loss through the week which is why I decided to put the cover back on to help reduce that affect. I too am suprised it has taken this long. Last year I had it cleared up within a few days and that was after cleaning out a lot of leaves and debris from the bottom which I didn't have this year. Does now having a sand filter instead of DE also slow the process?. I haven't needed to backwash for a few days now. The PSI has just gone up about 3-4 PSI since the last backwash.

From what I have read here, a sand filter does take longer take longer to clear(i have a sand filter, & that is all I have personal experience with)

You are correct (from my own experience) letting the sand filter read 8-10 psi above clean psi before backwashing, it just works better.

I expect to see pictures of your sparkling pool very soon.

Bob

Day 14 (7/18/09)

8:00 am - FC=17, Added ~131oz of bleach
10:30 am - FC=17, Added ~131oz of bleach Loss=1.2 ppm/hr
11:00 am - Vacuumed cover best I could and backwashed pool to lower water level which was too high. Added 4 oz DE and noticed no change after about a minute. Kept adding DE to the point of 24 oz. Level after a few minutes as about 3 PSI above none.
12:00 pm - Read article on adding DE to sand filter and realized I messed up. Checked PSI which was now 10 over. Oops :hammer: Backwashed again. Water level still good. FC=19.5-20, suprised by this reading :shock: so no change. Will check again at 2pm.
1:30 pm - Added 2oz DE
2:00 pm - PSI went up about 1/2 PSI. Added 2 more ounces and PSI quickly went to 2 over so I guess that 3 oz is where I should be next time. FC is still hasn't changed. Could this be the beginning of the end for the algae. I would expect a little loss with the heat/sun even with the cover on, but I'm not complaining.
4:00 pm - FC=17, Added ~131oz of bleach, Loss=1.5ppm/hr
9:45 pm - FC=16, Added 182 oz of bleach, Loss=.7ppm/hr

Day 16 (7/20/09)

Received about 1/4" rain today. Visibility increased, can now see third step through cover.

10:30 am - FC=17, Added 131 oz 6% bleach. Loss=.27 ppm/hr
2:30 pm - FC=15, Added 218 oz bleach. Loss=1.25 ppm/hr
5:00 pm - PSI = 30, Backwashed, added 1/2" water and added 1/3 cup DE.
7:30 pm - FC=18, Added 88 oz bleach. Loss=.4 ppm/hr.

Day 17 (7/21/09)

Received about 1/8" rain this morning
Pool guy came by and said my CYA was below 20 which looking back is about right since I made some misjudgements. Also suggested running pump at low speed to help with filtration.

10:30 am - FC=16, Added 131oz bleach. Loss=.27 ppm/hr
5:00 pm - FC=12.5, Added ~1.8 182oz jugs. Added 51 oz stabilizer in sock. Loss=1.2 ppm/hr

How much is water in your area? This was a great read, yet I'm starting to suspect that draining, acid-washing, refilling with water, then balancing that water would have been faster/cheaper.

The one experience I've had with a "true" swamp (when tadpoles are included) was just that, after estimating water costs vs. chemical costs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.