Hot Water & Chlorine

May 13, 2009
I was wondering just how much more chlorine I need to add to keep up with my demand when my water temp is running between 86 and 92 degrees. Is there any rule of thumb as far as higher water temps eats this much more chlorine?

nope the key is keeping your fc at the suggested target level for your CYA. Temperature may have a small effect, but full sun, exposure to organics and your CYA levels have a bigger say in your chlorine burn rate than temps. If you can post some test results we can help you out.

My lastest test results are as follows:

FC 3.0
TC 3.0
CC 0.0
TA 90
CYA 20
PH 7.3
CH 225

But I've been eating much more chlorine since my temps have jumped over the past several weeks here in MD. Earlier in the season when temps were below 75, even with the cousins and pool parties over the weekend I could get away with about 170 ounces of 6% bleach lasting about a week keeping my FC between 2 and 4. Now with the heat and the same parties (sun light exposure the same as well) I am burning that off in roughly half that time. At least it seems so. With my pool covered with the vinyl almost all day it gets HOT. The cover is a gray color and really traps the heat, when I first open it up it is often like a warm bath. I hate it. My kids kind of like it. I'm more of 72 kind of guy :-D

This is probably an area of expertise for Jason and Chemgeek...but I would say you sun exposure is proably more intense now when uncovered...not sure about MD, but in NY it's been awefully cloudy the past month and all of a sudden I am running my SWG for an extra hr to maintain the same FC level...but I attributed that to losing some CYA due to back washing.

Is you CYA test result from today? If not it may be even lower with all the rain we had, but my opinion (I know everyone has one)...you would benefit from raising your CYA to a 30ppm minimum....that should somewhat slow your chlorine burn rate.

Both sunlight and water temperature increase in the summer, and both increase the amount of chlorine you need to use. You are still aiming for the same FC level as in the spring and the fall, it just takes more chlorine to stay there.

I see that your CYA level is very low. You should raise CYA up to around 40 or 50. That will significantly reduce the amount of chlorine you need to use, even though you will need to aim for a slightly higher FC level.

Sorry I'm just getting back frustratedpoolmom but the answer is yes and no. I've still got the frog mineral pack in and my return line goes through it, but I haven't put the bac pacs ($25 a pop) in for several months since I've gone TFP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.