Which Timer for my Pump for AGP

Jun 15, 2009
Clarksville TN
We got our first electric bill :oops: and now decided we may need to get a timer. lol.
I have a Hayward Power Flo LX series pump and I looked at some timers online but wasn't really sure what to get so I thought I better ask here first. The pool is a 24ft round AGP. I usually get in the pool in the morning and it would be great if I could start the timer "early" in the morning so all the beetles be sucked out by the time I want to get in. :wink: Don't really need it running all night. Also if it was something that I can just plug in be great. I found a Hayward timer but they started talking about connecting wires and stuff....don't want that. Help please. Thanks in advance.

I bought a timer at Lowe's for about 25 dollars, just set it plug your pool in and forget it...lol... Actually it also has plugs for 6 other things, but since I don't want my light running during the day I don't use them.

I think I found it in the lights and lamp section, if this helps :)

pepsiholic said:
I bought a timer at Lowe's for about 25 dollars, just set it plug your pool in and forget it...lol... Actually it also has plugs for 6 other things, but since I don't want my light running during the day I don't use them.

I think I found it in the lights and lamp section, if this helps :)

So I could use a timer like I would for outdoor Christmas lights and such? Is that the kind of timer you have?

Just be careful on the max amperage rating...I have an intermatic manual timer, which I love but had to be wired in next to my main panel. My pump runs on a dedicated 20amp GFCI protected circuit.

I'm not to familar with the plug in models, but your local pool store may have a selection if you choose that route

Just for safety, you may want to see if you have any local requirements before you buy the timer. (Since a power outage will affect the time the pump starts if you forget to reset the timer, you could be in the pool when the pump comes on).

Our code here follows NEC 2005 and will be updating to NEC 2008 soon and requires that I use a Twistlock receptacle IF the pump is not direct wired AND if it's between 5 feet and 10 feet of the pool. The code states that the pump can be NO CLOSER than 5' from the pool wall. (My pump already is wired with a twistlock plug).

(I'm also using a Hayward Powerflow Pump like yours).

Of course it needs to be on a GFCI Breaker and the pump line must be a dedicated line.

The Intermatic timer at the link above does not have a twist lock receptacle so I could not use that particular one BUT for $65 or something like that, they do make one with a twist lock plug if your pump uses a twist lock plug..

Since I'm required to follow the NEC 2005 guidelines (currently) I used the Intermatic T103 timer like this one:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/42854 ... Hour_Timer

I bought it at lowes for $45

Where I live,

Code requires NO UF-B (outdoor) wire for the pump line (at least in my area) since UF-B does not have an insulated ground. Pump wiring must have a insulated ground. UF-B (Burried) is ok to run for the accessory outlet but not for the pump itself. The pump must have an insulated ground so I had to run THHN/THWN individual wire through Conduit for the pump. (I ran the same for the accessory outlet as well while I was doing it).

Since I was doing all of the wiring to meet code, the Intermatic T103 was just as easy to wire up near the breaker panel right off the pump line.

Just wanted to put that "out there". It's always best to check with your local requirements to make sure you are keeping safe, especially when a timer is involved..

Thanks Pool4me
and I am totally lost now. I did go to Lowes today to look for a timer but they only do up to 1/3 HP and my pump is a 1.5 HP so no timer for me. I will not even attempt to do any wiring because I may electrocute myself with my luck. I think I will just go ask at the pool place next time I get my water tested. Maybe they know someone to install it for me if I did get a wire thingy timer.
:-D

hey..

Don't give up too quick :shock:

I may be wrong, but I thought your pump came with a twist-lock plug. (Maybe it was rewired / direct wired etc??? ).

If your pump still has the twist-lock, this timer may solve your problem
(with no wiring :party: and better yet... no electrocution :whoot:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0198020462

I'm not sure how "you're wired" but usually the pump should be on a 20 amp dedicated circuit. This timer is rated at 20amps, includes a twist-lock receptical for the pump and a twist-lock plug to plug into your existing outlet. Unless your pump is direct wired (which is entirely possible), this may work for you.

Also..

I'm not sure what it's called but I had one on my last pool. Hayward actually makes a timer that replaced the back part of your pump (where the off / on switch is.). Someone does need to remove the back of the pump and do some rewiring but that may be an option if they still make that timer. I just saw one on Ebay (brand new). Perhaps that may be a cheaper option for someone to rewire for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.