Using PVC from Filter / Pump (AGP). Silly Question

Sep 3, 2008
Bucks County, PA
Hey everyone,

Instead of using the soft hoses, I (like several others have done) will be using PVC for my pump / filter lines for my Above Ground Pool.

I had a question in regards to the skimmer. The fitting for the bottom of the skimmer "narrows" down from the threaded portion to a smaller barbed type fitting to install the soft hose.

I did manage to find the correct thread to screw into the skimmer which has a slip fit opposite end where I can glue and slip in a piece of 1.5" sched 40 PVC.

Does this plastic fitting (original to the skimmer) narrow down for a reason or is it just to connect the hose to it???

I just want to make sure before I fabricate everything up. I wasn't sure if it possibly gets narrow to reduce flow / help with suction when using the vacuum etc..

I'm guessing it's just designed that way so it can attach to a flexible hose with a rubber adapter right? Without it, my setup would come right out of the skimmer with a 1.5" PVC hard line and then down to the pump.

Any problem with this??

Thanks Mike,

I figured that would be the case, (but knowing my luck I'd find out later that the "reduction" was for some sort of reason etc).

I know others have done sched 40 and I'm guessing they did the same thing I'm planning to do..

:cheers:

in my case...the narrowed barbed piece could just be unscrewed and substituted it with a 1.5" male threaded/slip fittiting...I have a mix of flexible PVC and PVC...it looks messy now (i have some old pics in there too) with the SWG and solar panel, but you can get an idea of the diff fittings needs. I can also advise you to use unions and two shoutoff valves, which makes servicing a snap.

here is a link to some of my pics where you can see what I'm talking about

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.