purchasing reagents that aren't "fresh"

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2008
Lake Forest, CA
I've got a question about buying replacement reagents. I went to a local store today and bought some Taylor replacement reagents for TA testing (R-0007, R-0008, and R-0009). Just for the heck of it I called Taylor and had them check the lot numbers. One of the reagents was indeed considered "fresh" according to Taylor, but the other two reagents were considered "usable", which meant that they were between 1-3 years old. Just wondering, when buying new reagents should I expect them to be considered "fresh" by Taylor's definition (under a year old), or is it pretty normal to buy new reagents and have them in the 1-3 year old "usable" range? I was considering returning the two "usable" ones because I just bought them and they're already at least a year old, but if it's fairly normal practice then I guess I won't worry about it.

Thanks,
Greg

I would certianly expect my reagents to be less than a year old. If I could return them, I probably would. If not, I'd make sure they were the first I used and next time I'd probably call and check the lot numbers before I left the store.

Since test kits and reagents make their way to the pool store via a distrubutor and the stuff sits at the distributor for a while before it makes it to the store and then sits on the shelf for a while I would think it's more common than you would think, which is why I don't like to buy reagents from stores but would rather order form the manufacturer or from a source that I know has them fresh.
I remember one time I sepcial ordered a K-2006C for a customer and when it came in from the local distibutor the DPD power in it was BLACK! I sent it back.

I went ahead and returned the reagents. I could order directly from Taylor, but I was hoping to find a local place that had fresh reagents. I tried one other local place last time I bought reagents, and it turned out that they were also "usable", but not "fresh". I kept them and used them and they seemed fine, but they were reagents that I use up more quickly. There's a couple of other places I can try nearby, but as suggested I might try and call Taylor to check lot numbers before even leaving the store next time. If it doesn't work out, I'm all for ordering directly from the manufacturer.

Greg

Chances are that all your local stores are getting their reagents from the same distrubutor in the area and the distributor does not have 'fresh' stock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.