How many of you use algaecide with the BBB method?

Jun 12, 2007
North Carolina
Just curious. We have had no sign of algae, but I read that some people still use algaecide regularly when they are also using the BBB method. We have algaecide (Regal brand...ingredients are dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and methyl benzyl ammonium chloride), but I've never used it.

Hi, Nic,

Speaking anecdotally, very few people on the forum use it. Chlorine will keep algae at bay and most of us see algaecides as an unnecessary expense.

In fact, the algaecide you have has a nasty habit of foaming up the water. Harmless enough, I think, but will create a mess for a day or so.

I don't use or have the need to use algaecide as long as I keep the FC level at least 3ppm. By the way, I have not 'shocked' my pool so far this season strictly using the BBB method to keep the water crystal clear.
Also - if you aren't using the cheap knee high hose on your skimmer baskets, they'll help keep your filter cleaner and working more efficiently.

Hope your summer is going splendidly!!

Carl on the Pool Forum has written on that forum that he adds just a couple of a few ounces (less than the "recommended" dose on the bottle) of PolyQuat 60 every week. Probably as insurance in case the chlorine level ever gets too low for whatever reason. At such a low dose level, it's probably economical and probably still effective.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.