Pump doesn't start after replacing capacitor

maf528

May 16, 2017
Marlton, NJ
I inherited an old Emerson pump that just started having issues. It would just hum when I turned it on. I could spin the shaft manually, so tried replacing the capacitor. Still having the same issue. If I spin the shaft while it's humming, it kicks on and seems to run fine. Is there anything else I can try or is it time for a new pump?

Where was the capacitor located? Some motors actually have 2 a start and a run capacitor. One inside the back of the motor and the other in the hump on the side of the motor.

OK, I think that is where the start capacitor is always located. The one on the side is the run capacitor that some motors have. Just wanted to make sure you replaced the right one.

I do not have an answer for why it is not working. Did you test the capacitor(s) to verify the 1 was bad and the new 1 is good?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.