Under Construction -- Coastal Maine

Jun 26, 2017
portland, ME
We are building a new pool on the ocean in Maine. The 18x49' pool is under construction. Gunite is finished. Pool is rectangular with infinity edge looking over a steep drop off to the ocean. Coping and surrounding decking is mystic granite (local granite with a blue/purple tone, picture below). The backyard is south facing so will get a lot of sunlight in season, with no trees or shrubs anywhere nearby. It is 3' to 8' depth with a sunning ledge at the steps and swimming bench.

Need help (for starters) choosing a wet edge primera stone finish. We are thinking dark, so we benefit from heat retention up here in the cold NE. But want as much of an inviting blue pool as we can (not too much of a pond or natural water body effect). Any pictures or recommendations between Black Kona or Midnight Breeze or other?

Many Thanks

Pool Rendering 2.jpgmystic.jpg

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to TFP! Your plans look amazing! I don't have any experience with the Wet Edge finishes, but many other TFP'ers do, so I am sure they will chime in shortly. From what I've seen (in pictures) I prefer the Black Kona. I also think it will go well with the Mystic granite you've chosen for your coping and decking, which by the way looks FABULOUS! Is there any concern about how hot it will get in the sun?

Also, what waterline tiles have you chosen? Also, I see your spa is separate. We'd love to know more about your equipment. More PICS PLEASE!!! You will soon learn here, that if there are no pics, it didn't happen. :D

Thank you Tony. Ok, so the tile is Classic Pool Tile in River Rock. I Tried to update my signature to include the equipment I know about. Spa got phased to next year. I'll admit, we are completely trusting our Landscape Architect and PB. I know nothing about pools before finding this site (other than that I wanted one). I would love input, thoughts on anything and everything from appropriate finish color to equipment considerations that I should know about. New pics posted!

Tile.jpg
Pool.jpg

Thank you Tony. Ok, so the tile is Classic Pool Tile in River Rock. I Tried to update my signature to include the equipment I know about. Spa got phased to next year. I'll admit, we are completely trusting our Landscape Architect and PB. I know nothing about pools before finding this site (other than that I wanted one). I would love input, thoughts on anything and everything from appropriate finish color to equipment considerations that I should know about. New pics posted!

Minimal, modern. I like it. I like the setting.

I think the darker the pool plaster, the more mirror like the surface will appear.

Is that a wood deck next to the house? That should warm things up

After hearing so many people discuss the color fade they have with their pebble finishes, for a high-end pool like yours , have you considered AquaBright?

Your pool and the site sound amazing. LOVE the Mystic granite! I agree with bmoreswim - with the fading I keep seeing and hearing about with dark finishes, you should definitely look into AquaBright. A relatively smooth surface and no color fading. I look forward to seeing more of your project!

Hi Thanks. Yes. I think we are going dark with the Black Kona for the reflection pool effect. I'm hoping its still inviting and sparkly blue, at least in the sun. The pool is surrounded by the mystic and there there is a step up to a wood deck.

- - - Updated - - -

We got heavily sold on the Primera Stone finish by our Landscape Architect because it can be fairly easily sanded down again to re-finish. I looked around the site for any fading issues with Primera -- but didn't see it. Have folks had problems with this product?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is our final equipment list. Anyone have input/advice?

Pentair 400K HD Heater
Pentair Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed Pump
Pentair FNS 60 DE Filter
Pentair IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator
Pentair EasyTouch - 8 Circuit Control System
Pentair GloBrite LED Lights
Jandy Levolor K-1100 - Auto Water Level

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.