weight versus volume

May 25, 2007
Getting ready to add boric acid to my dad's pool. Calculator says 28# will put it at 50 ppm.

Since I bought a 50# bag, I have a few choices-

1- Eye ball it, got with a bit more than half the bag and call it good.
2- Find a bathroom scale and measure it in a bucket or something.
3- Find a way to figure out the volume of 1# of boric acid.

I'd prefer 1 or 3, and my gut says 3 would be best, especially since I'll be adding a much lower amount to top of my pool. Anyone have any idea how to figure out the volume conversion? I have a DE scoop that I could use if I new the poundage/volume.

My Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, will give you boric acid quantities by both weight and volume. The exact borate level is not critical, so being off a little doesn't really matter.

Thanks Jason. I was using your calculator, and "effects of adding chemicals" at the bottom. Missed the volume in the borates section of the calculator.

So it says I need 493 oz by volume, that would be 61.625 cups right, since a cup is 8 oz?

I hear you on it not having to be exact. If my math is on the right track, I can figure the volume of my DE scoop and use it, or the plastic measured cup I use for adding MA.

Rangeball said:
So it says I need 493 oz by volume, that would be 61.625 cups right, since a cup is 8 oz?
Yes, or you can just pass the mouse pointer over the number of oz and my Pool Calculator will tell you in gallons, or some other appropriate unit depending on how large the number is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.