Pump Failing every 18 months

Jul 6, 2009
Help please. After getting 7 yrs out of the original pump, now he 6th pump in 7 years has failed. I have had 4 different companies try to diagnose what is happening. The wire is sized correctly, voltage and amperage is also normal. Pump ventilation is free but live in an area with high summer ambient temperatures. The only piece of original electrical equipment is the switch and timer. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

The impeller itself is failing? Can you describe what it looks like or post a photo of a failed impeller? Pump model and filter model, pressure gauge reading?

How do you add chemicals to the pool?

Pump impeller is not failing but had it replaced 2 pumps ago because of a small chip. Pump model and filter are Hayward DE, pressure gauge reading typically around 7 or 8 after backwash. Backwash usually when pressure reaches 15. DE added via skimmer. Other chemicals such as shock or algaecide direct to the pool.

Sounds like an impeller/motor mismatch. The impeller is probably rated for a higher BHP motor that what is being used.

mas985 said:
Sounds like an impeller/motor mismatch. The impeller is probably rated for a higher BHP motor that what is being used.

That was actually my first thought, but I believe you'd see current draw above what is on the motor plate. A smaller motor will have no problem turning a larger impeller (within limits) , but it will run hot and eventually overheat and fail. How quickly that happens depends on how much too big the impeller is for the motor.

mmichson said:
Pump impeller is not failing but had it replaced 2 pumps ago
mmichson said:
Just the motor fails. Typical failure is overload shutoff cycling. After a few times it burns out. No hum. All appears normal except for some heat discoloration on label.
mas985 said:
Bingo!

My guess is that the motors are uprated and the impeller that was installed was full rated, assuming the impeller was the "correct" HP.

What is the make and model of the pump and what is the make and model of the replacement motor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.