PVC Hard Plumb: First timer, with NO experience!

Blaise

Jun 25, 2017
Augusta Gerogia
Hi! I'm brand new to this site, and fairly new to anything pool related!

My friends have a seasonal above-ground "Summer Escapes" pool, and every season, they replace the 'corrugated' hoses between their pump and the pool, because the hoses sun-rot.

I started poking around Google for ideas about replacing the hoses with something a little more lasting, and MANY of the pictures I was finding were from this site. A few really inspired me to go nuts, and offer to my friend to move their pump away from the pool into the shade beside the tool shed, and away from the poolside, lawnmower, and weed eaters ...

I'm kinda proud of how it is coming out, and wanted to come back to this site and post my progress.

By the way, total cost is around $120, and I am not being paid for the job, I just 'wanted to do it.' Materials did not come out of my pocket, but my tools did.

EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that the way I added these pictures does NOT make them clickable thumbnails. I thought it did. If you want to see any of the pictures in higher resolution, please "Open image in new tab" and then simply remove the lower-case "t" from before the ".jpg" in the picture's URL. You will get the full size image straight from my Imgur, that way. Sorry :/

Day 1:
Trench work:
Pump has been moved about 10 feet from beside the pool to just around the corner of the nearby tool shed.
2KEsA3St.jpg
ueIpKzmt.jpg
5UHTzDLt.jpg
OlrxZ4Ft.jpg

Remove old pump:
This hasn't worked in two years. It was kept in place just to be able to connect the hose between the skimmer bucket and the "new" (Craigslist) pump
The original power cord from this old pump has a GFCI built into it's plug. I cut the cord off the old pump and added a replacement extension cord end to it, which the new pump plugs into, to retain the GFCI functions.
hHjnfDWt.jpg

Modify Skimmer Bucket to accept common PVC:
I needed a way to connect the PVC to the skimmer bucket, so I used a thin saw to cut the ribs and such off the bottom of the bucket, and then sanded it smooth, traced the gasket from the shower-drain, drilled a bunch of small holes (forgot to take pictures of this part) and knocked the center out of the bottom of the bucket. The shower drain goes in from the top and screws into the flange underneath, and accepts a 2-inch PVC reducer, down to 1-1/2 inch.
9ej2Dylt.jpg
81NH3ZNt.jpg
3PeF1nrt.jpg
xpGd2r9t.jpg

vBaT02Mt.jpg
brsCig7t.jpg

The Plumbing:
Next came the actual plumbing work. Note, that I have not worked with PVC or plumbing in general before, OTHER than fixing something already installed. This is my first lone install of any sort of plumbing.
I tried my best to keep everything neat and aligned ..
This is mostly still dry fit at this point.
Note: The water-filter "strap wrench" in the first picture, and the ratcheting PVC cutter in the third were WELL worth their $10 and $20 respective prices!!
LktinEXt.jpg
Uvw3m0ot.jpg
VcVV1SMt.jpg
rQqNobMt.jpg
iBf3jZ3t.jpg

( Due to the forum claiming I was logged out when I went to preview the post, everything beyond here was lost, and now that it is nearly 1 am, I'm tired, so the formatting wont be as nice from here out, I'm sorry. )

Solvent, and Mistakes
As this is the first time I have done any major install work with PVC, I should have started with less critical joints to get used to the set times and such.
I didn't. I started with the 'horse shoe valve stacks' and the -first- thing I did was got one of the valves WAY crooked. I am not at all happy with it. I didn't glue the valves themselves, yet, so tomorrow, I will get a couple new elbows and a new T, and redo that horse shoe.
syjMOlHt.jpg
YdFQQk8t.jpg
5NCYdYgt.jpg

Day 3: Tomorrow! :p

If you've stayed this far, sincerely, Thank You.

If you have constructive criticism, post it!

If you have "You shoulda just bought ___" please save it, as I said this job was a 'gift' to friends, who paid for the materials, and trusted me to use as much of their previously-cobbled-together stuff as I could to keep the cost down. Total cost has been $120 from their pocket for materials, with another $40 out of my pocket for more/better tools.

If I have inspired you, taught you something, or just made you laugh, then wonderful, see you tomorrow with my updates!

Blaise.

One suggestion would be to put a shot section of flexible good quality hose someware between the pool inlet and outlet. Since this is a pool that comes down every season placement the next season is going to have to be exact. ... Looks good though

It looks good, and thanks for being nice and helping out friends... That is whats its about

Welcome to TFP :)

Well Blaise, what a great friend you are to these folks! Such a nice thing to do for them. :)

Please tell us when you're ready to show them how to get rid of all the green in their water too. We'll help ya look good!

Maddie :flower:

What an awesome job you did!

Yeah stuff sets up FAST as you found out :shock:

Your friends are lucky to have you in their life! :hug:

Sorry you lost some of your post like that :( Did you look at the bottom left of the "writing" box? See if the words "restore auto save stuff" (forgot the exact words LOL) It may be still there.

Kim:kim:

replying from my phone so bare with mistakes please.

Zrock, they don't take it down all year, we are in Georgia so it never freezes

Maddie, they use bottles of "pool shock" that clears it up pretty well

Kim, i did find the "restore"option before it was entirely too late, and it restored up too where i said the rest got lost. i was thankful for that much getting saved at least! :p

Today's updates:
Everything at the pump is good. everything underground is good. I've backfilled. three of the four valves leak ... i don't know what to do about it...

2eav2Wvt-1.jpg
Hb9I4fat-1.jpg
29hCmrDt-1.jpg
5EybmTXt-1.jpg

Adding the shower head was fun and cost me about $9, including the $4 plastic shower head, and some irrigation system fittings.

replying from my phone so bare with mistakes please.

Zrock, they don't take it down all year, we are in Georgia so it never freezes

Maddie, they use bottles of "pool shock" that clears it up pretty well

Kim, i did find the "restore"option before it was entirely too late, and it restored up too where i said the rest got lost. i was thankful for that much getting saved at least! :p
I seen seasonal and assumed that ment it came down

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So reading the instructions/notes/reviews on Amazon .. this "Plast-Aide" looks like a powder and resin 'epoxy' of sorts.
Reviews say that it wont set under water but once set is 100% waterproof .. some reviewers say they've fixed holes or even cracks in hot tubs, and in plumbing.

I will order some, or check Lowes for some, and let you know my results...

So reading the instructions/notes/reviews on Amazon .. this "Plast-Aide" looks like a powder and resin 'epoxy' of sorts.
Reviews say that it wont set under water but once set is 100% waterproof .. some reviewers say they've fixed holes or even cracks in hot tubs, and in plumbing.

I will order some, or check Lowes for some, and let you know my results...

So, a few months have gone by.. I had forgotten about this thread but now that I've been reminded by a comment on my Imgur photos, i thought I'd come drop an update.

Other than that one initial leak that I spoke about in my last couple posts here, there have been no complications at all with the new set up. The valves are still working well, the new 'drain' in the sump bucket works well at keeping LARGE stuff from going through the pump. The pump -never- gets as hot as it used to, regularly, and being in full shade and not in the middle of a constant leak-puddle, the grass/weeds do not grow up around the pump anymore at all.. last, being farther away from the pool and the house, the filter 'exhaust' can be left connected all the time, and can dump out behind the tool shed. The 'shower head' addition held up just fine, so next year, I will try making some other 'toys' to plug in in place of the shower head. I might do a single pipe with a bunch of misters in it instead of the single shower-head at the top. We shall see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.