How Many Gallons????

davek

Jul 4, 2009
I have an Intex 18' circular pool. Leslies calculated my gallonage at 8500, which I thought was high. I went to this calculator, and got 7600 gallons (http://www.oceanmagic.net/calculating_pool_capacity.htm).

I still thought that was high, so I checked Intex, and they say 5400 (http://www.intexcorp.com/easy18x48.htm).

I am guessing Intex is probably closest to right.... but why such a great variation? That is over 50%.... and I know my pool does not vary from 12 to 18 feet in diameter!

Thanks!

D

poolcalculator says 7600 gallons- 18 feet by 48 inches... 4 feet. Substantially more than Intex says. Intex's chart does not even show a 56- do they make one???? That would be COOL!

I would think that a pool calc would be wrong the OTHER way, too, because of the way Intex's are... They are 18 feet wide at the top, and then blow out to 19-20 feet near the bottom- so I would think that would be m ore than a square-sided pool. But what do I know!

the pool calculator uses actual water depth, not pool wall height. To double check, get a tape measure and measure your pool diameter, then measure your water depth...plug it in and that your gallonage. I'm guessing you are right around 6500 gallons, give or take 500 gallons, which is accurate enough for purposes of dosing

davek,
The reason for the discrepancy is that Intex measures the pool at it's widest to come up with the 18', and with the way the pool is shaped, the top is only about 15' and the water level is not 48" but about 42". So if you put 16' (aprox average width) and 3.5' in you come up with 5300 so I would use the Intex number of 5400gal. I did for 2 years with my Easyset 18' and last year with my Intex Metal Frame 18' 6423 gal. and I am going to this year with my Intex Ultra Frame 18' 6981 gal. (Ya I am addicted to upgrading! :party: LOL)
Mike

If it helps, I checked the water meter before and after filling our pool. We've got an Intex 18'x42" pool, but basically thw whole pool, minus an 18" ring is dug down about 10". Water meter said just over 5500 gal. for us.

Also, the comment about the true width of an Easyset pool is correct. I found this out when we bought an 18' solar cover for the pool and i ended cutting it down to fit. Should've bought the 16' version and saved a couple bucks.

Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.