Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Many Gallons????

1. Back To Top    #1

How Many Gallons????

I have an Intex 18' circular pool. Leslies calculated my gallonage at 8500, which I thought was high. I went to this calculator, and got 7600 gallons (http://www.oceanmagic.net/calculating_pool_capacity.htm).

I still thought that was high, so I checked Intex, and they say 5400 (http://www.intexcorp.com/easy18x48.htm).

I am guessing Intex is probably closest to right.... but why such a great variation? That is over 50%.... and I know my pool does not vary from 12 to 18 feet in diameter!

Thanks!

D

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Many Gallons????

It depends on how deep your water is. According to our very own http://www.poolcalculator.com/ from this website, if your pool is 54 inches deep you should be at 8600 gallons.

Plug your own numbers into the formula at the bottom. This place hasn't steered me wrong yet.
    18,400 gallon, vinyl, AG, Aquatrol SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

poolcalculator says 7600 gallons- 18 feet by 48 inches... 4 feet. Substantially more than Intex says. Intex's chart does not even show a 56- do they make one???? That would be COOL!

I would think that a pool calc would be wrong the OTHER way, too, because of the way Intex's are... They are 18 feet wide at the top, and then blow out to 19-20 feet near the bottom- so I would think that would be m ore than a square-sided pool. But what do I know!

4. Back To Top    #4

the pool calculator uses actual water depth, not pool wall height. To double check, get a tape measure and measure your pool diameter, then measure your water depth...plug it in and that your gallonage. I'm guessing you are right around 6500 gallons, give or take 500 gallons, which is accurate enough for purposes of dosing
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

davek,
    The reason for the discrepancy is that Intex measures the pool at it's widest to come up with the 18', and with the way the pool is shaped, the top is only about 15' and the water level is not 48" but about 42". So if you put 16' (aprox average width) and 3.5' in you come up with 5300 so I would use the Intex number of 5400gal. I did for 2 years with my Easyset 18' and last year with my Intex Metal Frame 18' 6423 gal. and I am going to this year with my Intex Ultra Frame 18' 6981 gal. (Ya I am addicted to upgrading! LOL)
    Mike
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

6. Back To Top    #6

makes sense...sorry didn;t realize we were talking about an easyset...for somereason I thought metal framed
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

If it helps, I checked the water meter before and after filling our pool. We've got an Intex 18'x42" pool, but basically thw whole pool, minus an 18" ring is dug down about 10". Water meter said just over 5500 gal. for us.

Also, the comment about the true width of an Easyset pool is correct. I found this out when we bought an 18' solar cover for the pool and i ended cutting it down to fit. Should've bought the 16' version and saved a couple bucks.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Launboy.... I will be figuring on the 5500 gals instead of the other amounts....