Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to run the pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

When to run the pump?

Lets assume I've determined I can turnover the in ground pool water in 4 hours. I've also got a SWG installed, and the pool gets lots of direct sunlight in South Florida. What would be the ideal pumping situation over a 24 hr period?

For example (and this is just made up), should I run it for 1 hour from 8am - 9am, then 12 - 1, then 3-4, then 8pm -9pm?? Or is it better to run the pump continuously for the 4 hours? And if so, it would seem the best time to start the run would be just as the sun is not hitting the pool anymore and let it generate chlorine and have the chlorine at the higher level all night before the sun starts to hit the pool. Or if the CYA levels are good, does it not really matter.

Of course, when using a solar heater that used the pump, the ideal time is when there is direct sunlight, and one would want to run the pump then.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to run the pump?

have you read this pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator ? it's recommended to run the swg for 8 hours and set your % accordingly.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.