Algea CYA abt 220

Jun 24, 2017
Dallas,TX
FC 17
CC.5
PH 7.5
TA 110
CH 370CYA diluted

It started with a algae that would not brush off. I use tabs. The pool supply store said my phosphates were 1000. I purchased the treatment, cleaning the filter before and after, it was time to clean the filter anyway. What a waste of time the level went from 0-300 in a few weeks and was was told I needed to by the weekly phos treatment.
I shocked the pool with a granular that I never use, another suggestion from the same store, not realizing it was making the CYA worse. I went to another store and they suggested no more problems, I did that twice but it ate the chlorine despite multiple shock treatments. I added shock until the algae almost cleared up and read the posts on the site and ordered the kit. I am currently draining the pool about 75%, it almost done. How much bleach do I need and what other products when the pool is filled.

Thank you!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, you learned the pool store lesson. :hammer: That's why we're all here now. :) No guessing from here-on. Let the pool finish filling up so you can turn-on the pump and get everything circulating. Add about 1 gallon of regular bleach once full, then about 1/2 gallon each day thereafter until your kit arrives. Once it arrives, run a full set of tests and post back here for review. We'll help you from there. Nice to have you with us.

Welcome! :wave:

Aren't you glad they stopped spinning the wheel for you?

attachment.php

I drained about 80% of the pool. The pool is clear.

FC 3
CC .5
PH 8.2
ALK 90
CH 240 was 370 pre draining

CYA 32 That's better than it was abt 220!! I used up all the reagents 2 small bottles practicing this skill. I was getting between 32 and 42. I got a new bottle but no telling it's from the pool store! 32 in shade of bright light like I read in other posts.

This morning same results only ALK was 80. I put in 1/2 gal not certain how much to add and when to test again.

Forgot to say, I added a 1/2 gal this morning and tested just now.
If the pump's been on that whole time you can safely add more acid now.

A tip: you don't need to mix new samples every time for the CYA test. Pour it back into the mixing bottle and use it again and again and again.

Once the pH is good, boost that FC and give it a SLAM. Brush the heck out of things and hopefully you'll have a real quick kill and will pass the three tests quickly.

I added a 1/2 gallon of chlorine this morning, not acid, but I did by muratic liquid acid yesterday but I am not sure how to calculate the amt to add. I am not really clear on the acid demand test that is in my Taylor kit instructions. I can put the pump back on and add it. What about chlorine is that level good for overnight. I am knew to the TFP, I was addicted to the tabs and now my pool is suffering withdrawal symptoms!!

I added a 1/2 gallon of chlorine this morning, not acid, but I did by muratic liquid acid yesterday but I am not sure how to calculate the amt to add. I am not really clear on the acid demand test that is in my Taylor kit instructions. I can put the pump back on and add it. What about chlorine is that level good for overnight. I am knew to the TFP, I was addicted to the tabs and now my pool is suffering withdrawal symptoms!!
If you use the acid demand test, you multiply the drops it takes to get to the color you want by 1.5 and that tells you how many pints of acid to add.

Or you plug your pool volume, your current pH and TA readings and your acid strength into pool math and let it calculate the dose. Hint: it'll take about 5 cups. Unless your pH is actually way over 8.2. That's as high as it reads.

Since the original complaint was about algae, you really should SLAM now, before it has a chance to come back. 12 FC would be better for overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, found the calculator and added the acid, I only added 3 cups. I put my goal 7.5 maybe should have been 7.2. I have to wait an hr before adding any chlorine. It's dark now, but I will check at 9:30 just so I can worry about it overnight!!! What is the exact process for slamming, I read the article but it did not say how to calculate how much to add or is this adding a certain amt gradually and testing it at intervals? Is there a formula somewhere on the site. I am sure my eyes will glaze over looking it. Thank you for being so patient :)

It is 7.5, I think my pool is less than 15K, it's a free form figure 8ish.
I was calculating the acid dose targeting 7.2, which is where it should be before a SLAM Process. Your pool volume is probably pretty close.

The bleach dosing is pretty simple. You know your CYA is 30ish. shock level for 30 CYA is 12 FC. You put your current FC level in the now box and 12 as the target and make sure you've selected the bleach strength you're using and poolmath will give you the dose.

Once you do it a time or two, it'll click. A lot of this pool chemistry stuff doesn't make sense until you start doing it.

Thanks, I am adding more acid for 7.2 now. I was driving around a lot trying to find the right bleach. HD had outdoor, germicidal and most of the other stores had only HE (Aldi and the grocers) i found regular bleach at Target. The WM had the off brand for a dollar 3 qts. That is what I initially bought added about 4 1/2 gallons. I found some Clorox at Target but they did not have that much. How much would you estimate so I don't run out during this process?

My CC was 0 when I started the slam at 8 pm last night, .5 overnight and all day today. I was going to add more bleach as my level fell from 12 to 9.5. that's when I noticed this bottle was a HE bleach and I had previously added 5 C 7 oz. My question since my CC has continuously been .5, my pool is clear do I still continue? I went to town with the powder and ran out in less than a week, I didn't realize there was a scoop end and I was using the shovel end as the scoop. I ordered extra so I have more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.