Solar Cover over Vacation

May 24, 2007
Memphis, TN
First year using a cover and it works very well. Live in TN (where it's hot and humid!), but have a fair amount of shade that creates the need for using the cover. The question is while on vacation if it's ok, for the water and the pool in general, to leave the cover on during an extended period (a wk or so). Typically I leave the cover on overnight and remove it in the morning to allow for natural heating, cleaning/skimming, and lets the pool 'breath' a little; then recover at the end of the day.

I just don't want to come back to a problem with the water or a bad smell from the water being covered for that period of time. The pump will run daily via timer.

Any thoughts or experiences........

Thanks!

An issue you might see is algae growing on top of the cover if it rains while you are gone, but I'd probably leave it on.

We leave ours on almost all the time when we're not swimming. Though, the days we swim, the cover is off the whole day, so the pool gets to breathe a bit. In the beginning and toward the end of the season though, the cover has been left on for 2 weeks straight without any ill effects.

Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.