Aquabot steering wheel?

Jethro

Jun 11, 2007
North Carloina
Does anyone else have a robotic cleaner that won't pick up debris from a certain area of the pool? After several hours of frustration, I end up gently dragging it by the handle to the dirty area with the pool brush attached to the tele pole, but it doesn't work very well.
I was wondering if someone has came up with a way to grab the handle underwater and help steer it in right direction, then quickly release it. Something like "The Grabber" as seen on T.V. is what I have envisioned

Hi Jethro and welcome to TFP.

I know others have had robots that did not seem to like certain pool shapes or sloping bottoms... can you give us a bit more info about the problem, like what kind of pool/pump/filter you have, where the 'bot is getting stuck, etc? then someone may be able to better assist you!

Hello All,
My pool is a pretty basic 24k gallon setup. Grecian rectangle, Northstar 3/4 hp pump, hayward D.E. filter (24 sq/ft, ugg, way to small). 2" plumbing at the pad. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns, plus 2 aerators at the steps. My aquabot is a Turbo G, about 1 1/2 yrs old. My bot never seems to clean the shallow end or any of the transition areas (wall to floor). It also doesn't seem to move horizontally at the waterline very much. It will move about a foot or two, then go back under.
I clean the bag out about twice a week, so as to maintain good suction for wall climbing. Hope that info can help out. Thanks, Jeff.

Hi Jethro and welcome
I also have a basic ig fiberglass pool. Main drain and skimmer and one return ( this return will nock your socks off) It works very well. 33*13 rectangle. My turbo hangs up on the ladder and the main drain If the pump is running. I like the Aquabot most in the spring before i open the pool to add chemicals and clean the pool up the aquabot runs good in cold water which is whin i use it the most. I find it takes as much time to drag out the aquabot and the cord as it does to do the old vacuum, and the vacuum is much faster. If i feel the need to polish the water i will use the Aquabot and it would probably do that without moving. I also use the nasty bags in the bot in the spring and i just throw them away. I feel i have to baby sit the bot, this is just me and others would feel deferent about this. I have not had to do much to maintain it over the years but it is a machine and will cost to keep it. All the extra stuff out there for sale makes pool work easy but they all take something to maintain and some are costly. I think the most used tool i use is the leaf net and brush.The leaf net is remarkable for keeping the floor clean. I dont have a swg and probably never will there cost is high and they will come with more things to maintain. I have kept things simple for my pool and it stays clean and easy and has not cost a lot to keep which is great for my family. Your drive belts could be slipping a little this will usually show up if there is a load on the machine like a heavy bag or trying to climb the walls.

Ric,
I've looked at the belts and they appear to be in good shape and still have decent tension. But I never thought about them slipping while under a heavier than normal load. Buying new belts seems to be a fairly cheap investment to keep me from having to get out the old vac hose nightmare contraption. Yes, you are correct, the old fashioned vac is quicker, but I was hoping to never, ever bring the beast out of retirement.
You are also correct about babysitting the bot. Everytime I leave it alone for an hour or two, I come back to it either being stuck on the ladder or the cord tangled and twisted, sometimes the bot even eats the cord. The more I keep talking bad about the bot, the better the beast is sounding!!

There are floats in the Aquabot, and I don't remember which it is, but if it isn't going in certain parts of the pool, some floats need to be removed. Check with an Aquabot dealer. One I know of is Aquatic Distributors, they may be able to help you. I know they have a technical team. Here is the website:

http://www.aquadist.com/

Hope this helps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.