New to BBB

Jun 23, 2017
OK
I have a 33ft above ground pool that we got last year and we got suckered into using Pristine Blue and now I'm ready to switch to the BBB method. I got a test kit and tested yesterday and here's what my numbers looked like:

Chlorine = 0
pH = 7.4
CYA = 100
CH = NA
Copper = .4

From reading on here and following the PooMath numbers because of the CYA I drained ~50% of the water and refilled last night and now my numbers look like this:

Chlorine = 0
PH = 7.4
CYA = 35
CH = 120
Copper = .2

Plugging the updated numbers into the PoolMath calculator it looks like I need the following:

249oz of bleach to raise the chlorine up to 4.
32oz borax to get the pH up.

Do I really need to raise the CH by adding calcium chloride?
Do I need to do anything about the copper level?
Am I doing this right?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matt

Call the CYA 40 and target 6 FC. As time goes by, you'll learn your pool's appetite and can fine tune it so that FC never drops below 3 before your next dose.

Your pH is between 7.2 and 7.8 so nothing is needed there. A tip: if any value is within parameters, change the target to the now and move on.

You can have as low a CH as you want with a vinyl pool. There;s no plaster to etch.

The copper should be low enough to not stain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I wasn't able to do the OCLT test last night, but I just got home and tested it and FC = 5.5 and CC = 1.

The water is still a little bit cloudy, but that could be due to me not back washing the filter good after I vacuumed it yesterday.

I'm assuming it is OK to swim in the way it is now? Do I need to keep SLAM'ing it?

- - - Updated - - -

After reading about SLAM'ing again it looks like I need to keep at it.

Well I wasn't able to do the OCLT test last night, but I just got home and tested it and FC = 5.5 and CC = 1.

The water is still a little bit cloudy, but that could be due to me not back washing the filter good after I vacuumed it yesterday.

I'm assuming it is OK to swim in the way it is now? Do I need to keep SLAM'ing it?

- - - Updated - - -

After reading about SLAM'ing again it looks like I need to keep at it.
Yes, you do need to keep it up.

But that shouldn't keep you from taking a dip. How often have you tested a lake;'s waters before jumping in? Sometimes there are areas that are easier to brush from inside the pool, like skimmer throats and around lights and return hets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.