Cloudy Pool...but at least not muddy! (LEAVING TOWN??)

graffster

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
One of these days I will just be able to enjoy this forum without having to have a problem solved! But until then...

Our Pool's about 18 months old, and if you can look at old threads, you'll see that I've been battling our landscaping (or lack there of!!)...with every good, heavy rain, I get a wash in of dirt!! I usually can shock, run the filter, wash the filter and we're good to go.

Last week, after hubby did some work in the yard to keep the dirt at bay, we only had a slight amount wash in, but I can't seem to get the pool to "sparkle"...it's very cloudy. (Kind of like the water in the CYA tube test!)

Here are my numbers:

FC 2.5
CC 0 (The water turned the faintest pink...like "is it or isn't it???")
TC 2.5
pH 7.8
TA 100
CH 100
CYA 30
Salt 2400 (I ran out of salt strips so I'm trusting the read on the SWG...don't know that it's accurate, though!)
Temp 93

I know that my numbers are not balanced, but is there anything in particular that would cause cloudy water? And then of course, the commonly repeated question on here: what do I fix first????? (We did just put a new cartridge filter in, too, and it looks like cream and sugar coffee when I clean it.)

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance!! I already k now you'll have me sparkly in no time!! :thequeen:

Kathy

Re: Cloudy Pool...but at least not muddy!

You have several minor problems. If you are actually using the SWG, then salt and CYA are both too low. Low CYA and a SWG can cause algae problems, even if your FC level is good at some times of day.

I would shock, and then raise the CYA level.

Also, If the pool is more than a month old you should raise the CH level.

Thanks Jason! Yes, I do use the SWG, although I know it's past time to "check the cell", so I must do that. I keep it running at the 55%, about 8 hours a day (except for the past week when I've run the pump 24/7).

...so...shock, then raise CYA...THEN raise the CH?

I'll start tonight...

:) Kathy

OK...just to make sure I read pool school correctly:

I'm going to get the bleach right now and i'm going to add enough to get my level to 21.

I'm going to turn the chlorinator OFF on my SWG.

I'm going to retest in the morning and see if the FC level held. If not, I'll add more bleach to bring back up to shock level. If it did hold, I'm good (?) and can start adjusting CYA???

want to make sure I'm doing it all right!!

Whoops! Now how did I miss that?????? (And I hope it 's not a problem if I just put in enough to bring it to 21 :lol: cuz that's what I just did!!) I'm letting it circulate and I'll go test in 30 minutes and see what I've truly got...

graffster said:
Whoops! Now how did I miss that?????? (And I hope it 's not a problem if I just put in enough to bring it to 21 :lol: cuz that's what I just did!!) I'm letting it circulate and I'll go test in 30 minutes and see what I've truly got...
It will be fine. :wink:

Re: Cloudy Pool...but at least not muddy! (Mon am FC updated)

OK...8 a.m and my FC is 17.5. (It was 20 last night after the addition of bleach to shock it.) Since I was only supposed to raise the level to 14, do I just keep checking through the day to make sure I maintain at LEAST the 14? (In other words, I don't need to add anymore bleach now, but if the level drops to even 13.5, I should add more?)

I know you all know what you're talking about, so i won't move until I'm told!! :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

thanks, Reebok...and just one more thing: should I test every few hours throughout the day to make sure I'm maintaining shock level? Or is that overkill?

well, the defeating algae pool school article pool-school/defeating_algae states to test hourly "to get a good start". I think you are past this point, however, the longer and higher you keep your fc levels, the faster it kills everything. if I had to deal with this junk, I would test hourly to get it done quicker. whatever works best for you.

Re: Cloudy Pool...but at least not muddy! LEAVING TOWN

OK, I'm shocking and testing, and keeping my levels good, etc. Now we have the opportunity to get away for a couple of days! Is all my work for naught? I'll keep the pump and filter on...but what else to do? I hate to not go just becuase of the pool. Advice??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.