Should I add salt?

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
My salt levels have held steady since our pool was built until I tested tonight. It usually runs right at 3400 but it's now at 3000. I do have the Taylor salt test kit. Pool Math tells me to add 29 lbs. of salt which isn't even a full bag as I understand they are 40 lbs. Should I go ahead and add the approximately 3/4 bag? Any special instructions on how to add it? SWG on or off? Shallow or deep end? I'm assuming I should brush it around so it doesn't just sit on the bottom? I also think I read something on this forum about the Clorox brand salt staining the bottom of the pool so I'm going to avoid that brand.

With my kit. The SWG actually says 3100.

Slight differences in readings from SWG to testing is normal, I actually try and keep mine in the middle of the range of operation which is 2700-3400 so your numbers look great to me. I wouldn't add any salt now, your initial drop in salt saturation is most likely due to all the rain lately in Port Orange and if you had to drain your pool to maintain a proper water level you are also draining away salt. Salt doesn't drop its levels from evaporation only dilution, in fact evaporation actually increases the ppm numbers of salt.

Slight differences in readings from SWG to testing is normal, I actually try and keep mine in the middle of the range of operation which is 2700-3400 so your numbers look great to me. I wouldn't add any salt now, your initial drop in salt saturation is most likely due to all the rain lately in Port Orange and if you had to drain your pool to maintain a proper water level you are also draining away salt. Salt doesn't drop its levels from evaporation only dilution, in fact evaporation actually increases the ppm numbers of salt.

Yes, exactly. I did have to lower the water level recently due to all the rain we've had.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.