Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Computers

1. Back To Top    #1

Computers

I am in the market for a new computer at work. Where can you find the best machine for the money?
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Computers

let me know if you are interested in Lenovo Products...PM me with the model # I can forward you IBM's employee pricing on Lenovo products...IBM sold it's PC division to lenovo a few yrs ago, but they still make the thinkpads, monitors etc...we use them exclusively and they take a licking
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    let me know if you are interested in Lenovo Products...PM me with the model # I can forward you IBM's employee pricing on Lenovo products...IBM sold it's PC division to lenovo a few yrs ago, but they still make the thinkpads, monitors etc...we use them exclusively and they take a licking
    I had never heard of Lenovo before. Looked at the site, looks like all they have are laptops? Looking for a desk top although I guess a laptop might would work.

4. Back To Top    #4

mainly business oriented...as was IBM's PC division...if you look they have desktops as well, just not popular these days. My thinkpadt60p w/docking station is now reaching 4yrs and has been dropped down a flight of stairs...and runs 12hrs a day min...no prob...maybe just lucky, but they are nice business oriented machines with no frills...ie you don;t get 50% of your hard drive prefilled with sw you don;t need.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

My experience has taught me to buy the least expensive computer I can find to meet my needs. Computers have been reduced to a throw away item. When they break, no one can seem to fix them properly (especially a lap top) and I end up having to buy a new one anyway.
    30x18 inground plaster/pebble with spa
    Hayward cartridge filter C751 1.5 hp pump
    In line tablet chlorinator
    Heat pump heater
    Aqua Logic wireless controls

6. Back To Top    #6

What type of work do you do? Are you gamer at all? Do any video or photo editing? We need more info on how you will be using the computer and your budget.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

7. Back To Top    #7

For a forum about computers like this one, check out ArsTechinca

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/

They have annual recommendations for a "budget box", "Gamer's Box", "HotRod" and "God Box".
    21k IG : Hayward Perflex EC65A DE Filter + 1.4 THP Northstar pump : Aquabot Turbo T2 : DelZone Eclipse-4 Ozonator : Floatron Ionizer : Some chlorine
    Pool cover an elephant can stand on. Painted concrete base or shell, with fiberglass upper side walls, and plastic/vinyl rim. Concrete deck.

8. Back To Top    #8

For a business desktop, I favor the HP's. In particular the DC 7000 series which I think the latest is DC7900.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all the replys, I have been so busy I had forgotten about posting this here I ended up buying an HP.JJ to answer your questions, I will mainly use the computer for Estimating, I am not a gamer or do anything with photo editing.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    I've got an old T41 from work a many years back and I have passed on a new replacement a few times now. It's built far better than the dells they are giving us now. The first laptop I passed on was given to someone and it has chronic rebooting problems, the second I passed on just looks like he11 now, case just falling apart. The T41 has taken a beating and still looks new, I'd go Lenovo when this one craps out.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.