Happy Bottom Pad - Urgent Question

Jul 5, 2009
Hi ~
My pool installer is coming tomorrow and I really need help with making the decision. I purchased an above ground 24’ round pool and I also purchase the accessory package. The accessory package came with the happy bottom pad. My pool installer said not to install it. He stated that they come apart and leave creases in the liner that is hard to clean. I have search high and low to find others that have used this pad (or one similar) and no one really post any negatives on it. I also just spoke with a man that has had three above ground pools and he said the next one he puts up he is definitely putting in the pad. I was told it helps to maintain the heat and keeps things from coming up thru the sand. (I live in Northern Indiana so maintaining heat may be an issue) I am just wondering if the pool installer is just trying to be lazy and still charge me an arm and a leg for installation or if it really is not a good idea to use. Please can anyone help me out here?? I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Thanks so much!!!
Also ~ For those of you who put one in... did you buy the expensive tape or use duct tape? :?:

We have a foam bottom on our 24' agp. The guy that put it up taped across the edges of the foam every few feet with duct tape. After a couple months the foam began to spread apart some. This year we have several grooves up to about 1/2" wide running the length of the pool and a few smaller ones near the sides. The grooves collect alot of dust and dirt. I like the foam, but wish it was installed correctly with a strong enough tape running with the seams to keep it from spreading apart.

Proper installation is the key to a good job. we have the "Pefect Bottom" and not the Happy Bottom but the installers taped along the entire seam. If you look at the installation sheet for the Happy Bottom they tell you to tape the along the entire seams and then flip the pad over and install it on the pool site. You can download an instruction sheet from the Happy Bottom site.

If you can make sure the pad gets installed exactly according to the instructions I would think it would be well worth it. Since you've already spent the money for it I'd tell the installer that you want it installed exactly according to the instructions. You will of course have to be on site during the installation to make sure it gets done right. Don't be afraid to hurt their feelings. You're the one that's going to be living with it for a long time.

My Happy Bottom came in one piece, like a big blanket. I think it was happy bottom. I do have a little bit of the seams running through the pool and no gaps but nothing I can't deal with.

I love it! It makes the bottom pretty smooth but the sand was smooth when I installed it. If it get's wet, it's heavy! Like so heavy you can hardly move it. I had laid mine down the night before liner install and it rained. I'm glad I had it in place for the most part. Mine hasn't thinned out at all either.

It was worth it to me. I even installed the wall foam which is suppose to hold the heat in and the cove.

bmeister2 said:
I purchased an above ground 24’ round pool and I also purchase the accessory package. The accessory package came with the happy bottom pad. My pool installer said not to install it.

I'd tell him, he's got a job because you have a job that needs done and this is what you bought unless he's gonna give you your money back on the accessory package which I highly doubt. You bought it because you wanted it and he should install it, plain and simple.

Did you hire him yourself or is he with the pool company? If he's with the pool company, I'd call them and tell him he's trying to cheat you out of your money and your kit. I'm sure the pool company won't like that too much but I wouldn't like hearing what he told you but that's just me, especially if you're laying out a few thousands of dollars ya know...

Welcome to TFP. 8)

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am going to assume since no one has given me any negative feedback that it is worth the extra time it may take them to install it. The guy I hired is not from the pool store that I bought the pool from. He came as a reference from a friend of ours. I am glad now that they didn't finish the pool on Fri as was planned because I would be selling the pad today. It became too windy to put up the sides so they postponed it till tomorrow. I was finding it hard to believe that the pool store (which has a very good reputation in the area) would sell me something that was "junk" as the pool guy would say. Well it looks like I may have to take a vac day tomorrow so I can have a little chat with the installers. LOL! And very well put about the money being spent!!! Yes I seem to be spending quite a bit!

Thanks again! And very glad to have found this forum. Very helpful post on here as I am a first time pool owner.

I know I'm a little late for your install, but maybe this will help someone else make a decision on a floor pad.

I just had a new liner installed last month. With it, I put in new gladon pool cove, (the white higher density,) along with this pool floor pad called "Liner Shield":

http://www.pooldeals.com/product.php?productid=16691

This is the best, most perfectly smooth, and best feeling floor I have had in 9 seasons. I chose this one because of the same thing I read about the tape seams of the Happy Bottom opening up and resulting in the liner filling those gaps with a dirt collecting crease. Just unfold it and lay it in. It's one piece, finely stitched, and sized for your pool size, with a lifetime puncture guarantee

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.