Having party - Raise chlorine before or after

May 15, 2017
Hereford, MD
I am having a party in a couple weeks 7/1 and should have the water balanced by then. I have a SWG and 27,000 gal pool. I assume having a lot of people ~20 adults and 6 children, in the pool will increase the chlorine requirements as well as other chemicals. Are there any parameters I should make higher than usual before the party without affecting swimmers? Or should I just make it balanced and adjust afterwards?

Currently as of today
FC 15
CC 1
pH 7.8
TA 110
CYA 70
CH 175 ( 2 days ago)
salt 3900 (manuf recommended 3400)

I have been adding CA over the last week and just added 4lbs( for a total of 20) yesterday so CYA will probably go up some.

Thanks for your help.

It is safe to swim up to shock level FC for your CYA. But I would not raise it that far. I would certainly bump it up maybe 5ppm with bleach before the party, or more if a lot of people, and then recheck and bump after the party.

There is a super chlorinate setting on the SWCG control panel.

SUPER CHLORINATE: When you have an abnormally high bather load, a large amount of rain, a cloudy water condition, or any other condition which needs a large amount of purification to be introduced, put the Main Switch in the SUPER CHLORINATE position. This electronically “super chlorinates” (shocks) the water for 24 hours (filter pump must be on during this time) or until the power has been turned off, whichever comes first. At the end of the super chlo-rinate time, be sure to put the switch back into the AUTO position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.