Night time filling of above ground pool

Jul 4, 2009
We are filling our new 24' above ground pool. We were told we could not fill it at night because it would cause the sides to buckle. It is over halfway filled and has taken two days to get that way. I would like to fill it through the night. Will it really damage the pool?

While I don't know what brand pool you have and I'm certainly not a pool builder. We filled ours using three hoses and ran them day and night till it was filled. The installer started the fill and straightened out the floor, waited till it was above the cove and said to let it run till it was middle of the skimmer.

I'm sure one of the pro's will come along and straighten me out if I'm wrong.

harleychick said:
We are filling our new 24' above ground pool. We were told we could not fill it at night because it would cause the sides to buckle. It is over halfway filled and has taken two days to get that way. I would like to fill it through the night. Will it really damage the pool?

The second time I installed my pool, we moved it to another house, I filled it through the night. I started getting a bad feeling at around 2am, and went out, and the side was buckled. The cover was installed without enough slack. Needless to say, I got to fix it right there and then. I would say that if you feel good about the cover placement, go for it.

The only thing is, now I have a "dent" in the side, barely noticeable, but what a feeling, I though it was all lost, liner, side and everything. I was awake though.

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to be patient and follow the installer's directions and only fill during the day. We're finally just about full. I'm not a patient person, but in this case I decided to be smarter. :thequeen:

Our pool builder told us when we were initially filling our pool that the liner had to have the sun on it to help it stretch as it should. Like you, I didn't want to take a chance, so I added water during daylight hours only.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.