FAS DPD Testing

jwsr

Jun 20, 2009
Henderson, KY
I've searched and didn't find an answer to this. I'm new, this year, to the FAS chlorine test. I want to be sure on the amount of powder level when adding to the test tube. I take it for granted that each of the two scoops should be flush with the top of the little cup. What is the best way to assure a fairly consistant amount every time?

The amount of powder you use in the FAS-DPD chlorine test is not crucial. Normally, it is simpler to add a little too much, just to be sure. Adding too little can cause problems, adding too much, within reason, is never a problem.

The amount of powder isn't critical. As long as you're fairly close your good. The instructions with mine says to use a heaping scoop and apparently yours says to use two level scoops.

If you want to convince yourself, try running the test with different amounts and see if the results are the same.

That was quick! Thank you Jason. Have a good 4th! :-D

Bama,
My instructions simply say "two scoops," neither level, nor heaping. But using a level scoop, I did find that the test showed I raised my FC for shocking the exact amount as the pool calculator indicated that the amount of bleach I used would. I was just under the impression that the amount of powder was critical.

Thanks again guys!

The Taylor instructions do intend level scoops, they spell that out somewhere at their web site. The TF100 directions and the Taylor directions are both aiming for the same result, two level scoops are just about the same amount as one heaping scoop. Most people find using one heaping scoop easier to do, especially as the exact quantity isn't critical.

Just to be through, When adding the powder, if the sample turns pink for a moment and then goes either brown or clear, you should add more powder to get it to stay pink.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.