Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS DPD Testing

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS DPD Testing

I've searched and didn't find an answer to this. I'm new, this year, to the FAS chlorine test. I want to be sure on the amount of powder level when adding to the test tube. I take it for granted that each of the two scoops should be flush with the top of the little cup. What is the best way to assure a fairly consistant amount every time?
    Jerry

24' X 52" Vogue Impact AGP - 13,500 gal. (Installed 2001) - Jacuzzi Laser 225 sand filter w/7 way valve, 1-1/2 hp pump - "The Step" single center rail steps - "Zoomerang" deck mounted AG slide w/adjustable water flow - "Aqualuminator" return fitting pool light w/fountain attachment
    Taylor 2005 Test Kit w/add-on FAS chlorine test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FAS DPD Testing

The amount of powder you use in the FAS-DPD chlorine test is not crucial. Normally, it is simpler to add a little too much, just to be sure. Adding too little can cause problems, adding too much, within reason, is never a problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The amount of powder isn't critical. As long as you're fairly close your good. The instructions with mine says to use a heaping scoop and apparently yours says to use two level scoops.

If you want to convince yourself, try running the test with different amounts and see if the results are the same.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

That was quick! Thank you Jason. Have a good 4th!

Bama,
    My instructions simply say "two scoops," neither level, nor heaping. But using a level scoop, I did find that the test showed I raised my FC for shocking the exact amount as the pool calculator indicated that the amount of bleach I used would. I was just under the impression that the amount of powder was critical.

Thanks again guys!
    Jerry

24' X 52" Vogue Impact AGP - 13,500 gal. (Installed 2001) - Jacuzzi Laser 225 sand filter w/7 way valve, 1-1/2 hp pump - "The Step" single center rail steps - "Zoomerang" deck mounted AG slide w/adjustable water flow - "Aqualuminator" return fitting pool light w/fountain attachment
    Taylor 2005 Test Kit w/add-on FAS chlorine test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

the taylor kit and the http://www.tftestkits.net kit (which most people here have) are slightly different in respect to the scoop instructions. sounds like bama has the tf one and you have the taylor one.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

The Taylor instructions do intend level scoops, they spell that out somewhere at their web site. The TF100 directions and the Taylor directions are both aiming for the same result, two level scoops are just about the same amount as one heaping scoop. Most people find using one heaping scoop easier to do, especially as the exact quantity isn't critical.

Just to be through, When adding the powder, if the sample turns pink for a moment and then goes either brown or clear, you should add more powder to get it to stay pink.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School