New AutoPilot Low Chlorine

Jun 27, 2007
Tucson, AZ
I have a new Autopilot Digital with the SC-48 cell. It was installed two days ago. I ran my pump for the first 24 hours and did not get much of a chlorine reading. I then ran it for 12 hours the next day and g0t a reading of almost 1. Wonder what I should do, I was thinking of one of the following:

1. Don't panic give it another couple of days (makes me nervous because I live is Arizona - Temperature is 102)

2. Shock with a gallon or 2 of bleach.

3 Shock with MPS.

4. Run the AutoPilot in Boost mode.

PH 7.2
ALK 130
CYA 90
Hardness 350
FC 1
Salt 3300 PPM
17,000 Gallons
Water is clear (amazing at this chlorine level in this heat)
Cell is at Level 3 - 50% (upped it based on low chlorine after two days)

Thanks,

Mark

Hi, Mark,

A couple of jugs of clorox would be some cheap, effective insurance 'til you get the issue sorted out. That would be my first choice and I'd do it very soon.....like tomorrow AM. :lol:

If you keep an eye on your FC level, back off the % if you're getting above 4 ppm. If you find that you've dropped down to less than 25%, I would recommend dropping down to Cell Power 2 and adjusting your % to 50%, then fine tune to so that you're maintaining the FC about 3 ppm (my ideal level).

are you still running it for 24 hours or backed it off to 12? I'm experiencing a similar issue with my Aquarite. It's at 90% with hardly any detectable FC. The timer was set to run for only 12 hours, I just realized yesterday, and set it to run for 24 hours now and hope to see the chlorine levels come up.

Poolsean said:
If you keep an eye on your FC level, back off the % if you're getting above 4 ppm. If you find that you've dropped down to less than 25%, I would recommend dropping down to Cell Power 2 and adjusting your % to 50%, then fine tune to so that you're maintaining the FC about 3 ppm (my ideal level).

Poolsean,

Is that for your companies SWG or personal pool only? I have been running my zodiac unit and adhering to Bens Best Guess Chart. Am I doing something harmful to my equipment/pool? Should I be dropping my FC to 3 even though my CYA numbers indicate I need to run above 3?

Thanks!

Many people have found that any brand of SWG can usually be run at a chlorine level below the Min number from Ben's best guess chart. However there is some debate about why this might be and if it is really just as effective to run at that level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Caustic,
I agree with Jason's reply. I don't know the reason behind it, but it works. Personally, I wouldn't keep less than 2 ppm for regular usage, especially over the summer when all the neighborhood kids end up in my pool. If no one was using the pool all the time, I would feel comfortable at 1 ppm.

I have been fighting chlorine below 1 for over a week know. I called AutoPilot and they have me running the system from 5:00 am to 5:00pm at power 3 and 70%. I still get a chlorine reading of under 1. I am now starting to get a little Algea on walls. I need some help! My readings are:

FC- .5
TC- .5
PH- 7.5
CH- 350
TA- 170
CYA-100

Thanks,

Mark

If you have visible algae you need to shock the pool. It is best to do this with bleach, since you want the chlorine level to come up as quickly as possible. The SWG can suppliment the bleach and will help you to maintain shock levels, but bring it back up to shock level with bleach as frequently as possible until things improve.

Guys,

Thanks for the response. I set the Autopilot on Super Boost at about 5:00 pm last night and by noon today my chlorine was 2 ppm.

Sean,

I left town for a few days before I saw your response. I will get the numbers to you when I get back on Saturday. I do know that my salt level is 3400 ppm. I have not used any algaecides.

Thanks again,

Mark

As I said before, you need to shock with bleach (or another chlorine product) not with the SWG. Shocking the pool requires bringing the FC level up quickly, within minutes not days, something no SWG can do. With a CYA of 100 you are going to need to bring the FC up to at least 25 and hold it there by testing and adding chlorine at least three times a day to bring it back up to 25.

It would also be a really good idea to get your CYA level down. Most of the tests read 100 no matter how high the CYA actually is. To get your CYA down you need to replace water.

The pool water is clear, but over the 3 days that I was gone a greenish brown algea has developed on the pool walls. I measured both with a Taylor kit and strips. I was gone for 3 days and when I came back the chlorine reading was about .5 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.