Cloudy Water

I am really confused on how to balance my pool. Intex 15x48. Before I discovered this site I have added 8 ounces of the walmart pool shock for the last 4 nights. My fc level is 5 and ph is 7.8 but the water is cloudy. What can I do to start using bleach now and clear up the water. I will never graduate to a larger pool at this rate. I just don't understand the whole water balance thing.

BBB is so simple, really...but there is alot of information to absorb and it can overwhelm you at first. Just take your time and read the relevant articles several times. It will sink in.

The shock bags - what was the ingredient? Was it Calcium Hypochlorite or was it Dichlor?

You need CYA in the water, Dichlor has CYA but Cal-Hypo doesn't.

You can use 8 oz of Dichlor for 5 days to build your CYA level to the recommended range, and then start using bleach. Each night you will need to test your chlorine levels and add bleach, and I guestimate you will probably need to use a little over 2 cups of bleach each night - maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

I would recommend you pick up a small test kit, like the HTH 6-way sold by Walmart for around $20.

Hope this helps, post back if you still have questions.

Thanks for the help. I have read and read for hours and I just got more comfused but now I think it is finally sinking in. I am having trouble finding the Cya, the chemical I used was from walmart Cal-Hypo. Work calls today but tomorrow I plan on getting some. We have no pool stores or anything around for 60 miles is the reason I went to walmart, and I did pick up the 6 way test kit there. I probably will be asking more questions when I get started. Thank goodness for this site, and people who are willing to help.

Walmart usually sells the HTH or Aquachem brand of stabilizer. Look for cyanuric acid on the active ingredients. Usually sold in 4 lb cannisters. It's a bit more than you need, but it has a long shelf life. Since you can't find the Dichlor... or

Do you have a Lowes or Home Depot? They sometimes have pool departments and they may have some Dichlor there, in 1 lb bags or 2 lb cannisters, maybe labeled for spa use.

We're glad to help. :)

riverhilltop said:
Now I will have to recap because I forgot everything I've read I guess it didn't sink in too far. LOL
It helps to take notes in a pool book, keep quick numbers for reference and when you did stuff like shocked or had a problem of some sort. Who can remember this on top of regular daily stuff??

If you add 8 oz of Dichlor every day for the next 7 days, that would put your CYA in the 30-40 range, which is good for your pool. After the 7 days start using bleach.

In the meantime, learn how to use the Pool Calculator, to determine how much of each chem you need to add to get to the ideal levels.

Post back here if you have any problems or questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.